Clear all

Another Newbie String Question

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, as you may remember I just got my new Seagull M6 last Friday. Today, I broke my first string on it. I had expected these to last a bit longer, and was not yet ready to ask the "what strings" question. But, looks like I will be doing that now. I need some decent light to extra light strings that will sound nice on my Seagull (not sure if certain strings work better for certain guitars or not). I would like some with a bit of durability to them (guess that means coated?). My understanding is that extra light will work better since I am in learning mode. Is this correct?

Another question I can not help but ask is "Why did these break so early?" My first guess is that these were the same strings that were on the guitar in the shop, and even though they did a setup for me, they used the old strings. Possible? Also, when I get going on playing, and get into a good rhythm, I sometimes get a bit over-enthusiastic. Maybe I am just hitting the strings a bit too hard. Could be? I really don't know.

Anyway, so I would appreciate your input on those two subjects: Which strings and why did these break. Thanks in advance.

Seagull M6 Gloss

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My favorite coated string, and on my Crafter right now, is the Dean Markley ,Alchemy strings.
I have never broke a string playing and have heard it is unusual to do so.
It may be you caught the string too hard but check the saddle, nut and all the frets for a sharp edge. Heck check your pick too.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

My favorite coated string, and on my Crafter right now, is the Dean Markley ,Alchemy strings.

I use those, too. They're great strings, never had one break and they last 2 months minimum. I got away with almost three on my last set that I just changed this weekend. I've recomended them on the forums before.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I'll chime in as well with my Alchemy endorsement. I *love* those strings!

I'm also partial to the Elixir coated strings, both Nanoweb and Polyweb. I think all three of these types are wonderful, and they all sound fantastic on my Yamaha acoustic. I prefer the Markley strings over the others simply because they seem to have a longer lifespan before they start to sound a bit dead.

As with anything, though, you really do need to play around a bit and find out what sounds/lasts best for you. For string gauge, it won't hurt to try something a bit larger than you think you might be comfortable with. I use 12's or 13's on the acoustic, but I also use 11's on one of my electrics. Lighter strings can be easier to fret at first, but I believe heavier strings will help you build strength and proper fretting technique faster than lighter ones. Conversely, you may find that lighter strings give you the kind of tone you're looking for, and would be perfectly happy using those throughout.

As always, I'm sure someone more experienced will come by and tell me I'm completely wrong. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

I presume you use a pick? It might be work trying a lighter pick?

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Man there are so many different kinds of strings out there, you will have to judge for yourself. I personally tried the coated strings and didn't feel that the increased life span justified the price. I replace my strings at least once a month.

If your guitar was setup at the shop then they would have had to remove the strings (adjusting the saddle height necessitates this). Also new strings sound and look different than old ones. Assuming you havent played enough yet to hear the difference they would have looked new. If people were picking up the guitar and playing it in the shop the strings would be dirty.

Something to remember - the setup that was done on your guitar was for one gauge of strings - most likely lights (whatever strings the guitar came with). If you change the gauge your setup will be different, due to different levels of stress put on the neck. At least that is what I have been told.

On breaking strings. I have found it very difficult to break strings and I think you will find most guys rarely break a string. Is it possible that you over tensioned the string. If not it was probably just some bad luck.

hope this helps

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

hi

I use d'addario ej-15 extra light strings. they are cheap, sound very good. easy to tune.

if you break one string - you could buy this one only at the shop.

also when tunning your guitar - be sure not to miss the tune point and over tune your string - so it breaks. occured to me that is almost tuned my high e string almost an octave higher - of course when i was almost reaching that goal - it broke.

get yourself an electronic tuner + new set of strings. + one or two strings like the one you broke.

ReplyQuote