Clear all

Are my fingers too fat?

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@stevie-long)
Topic starter  

Hi

I'm new at this. I have only been playing for two weeks. I have noticed that I have to press down so hard on the strings that my fingers end up touching the strings next to them. The chords sound dead. Is it that my fingers need to build up chaluses? Will that resolve my problem? Also, my fingers are really sore. How long does it take for that to go away?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Correct, you are pressing too hard mostly because you don't have calluses yet and the strings are sinking into your finger tips. Even without calluses try to press lighter and closer to the fret wire and that will help.

It usually takes a couple of weeks for them to start to build with an hour or two practice each day but does depend on the individual. If it hurts too much stop for a bit so you don't end up with blisters. And whatever you do don't pick at the fingers.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

P.S. Welcome to the wonderful world of guitars and guitarnoise.

Stick with it and before long your fingers will stop hurting and you may not even notice when that happens.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Happened to me too. When my calouses built up it wasn't so bad, and I've noticed that overall my fingers are getting skinnier because they're getting more exercise.

It's like I've been on a hand diet.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

get your guitar set up if you havent already...most good music stores can do it for u you pretty quick.....mine does it while i wait ...they are great guys!....if the action is too high you will have a much harder time playing cleanly ...the action is the distance between the strings and the fretboard...they luithier can also make sure the neck is striaght ,also part of set up...it was 5 yrs before i learned about getting a guitar set up and i could not believe the difference in my playing when i finally did!

Play On....

joyce

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

"and I've noticed that overall my fingers are getting skinnier "

I noticed the same thing. But I thought that I was only imagining it. LOL. I guess I'm not imagining it.
I have to be careful I don't waste away as I tend to play too much and forget about feeding myself!!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I noticed the same thing. But I thought that I was only imagining it. LOL. I guess I'm not imagining it.
I have to be careful I don't waste away as I tend to play too much and forget about feeding myself!!

I think the only reason I noticed is because I was comparing it to my right hand. Their thickness used to be symetrical, by my left fingers are starting to get noticeably thinner.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I think the only reason I noticed is because I was comparing it to my right hand. Their thickness used to be symetrical, by my left fingers are starting to get noticeably thinner.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

....That's weird! Mine still look pretty much the same.

Another thing, you're technique will improve as you play more, and your left hand will become more precise, and the arching up of the fingers will become more natural: that will go along way towards getting those notes out clearly.

My fingers are very fleshy, and when I was beginning, I was really annoyed that I was accidentally muting everything. It changed for me, and it will for you too.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

....That's weird! Mine still look pretty much the same.

Yeah, it's a good thing. I was pretty frustrated by all the string muting I was doing. And looking at the backs of my hands as I type, my left has more vein and knuckle definition, too.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's like I've been on a hand diet.Go easy on the finger food.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

It's like I've been on a hand diet.Go easy on the finger food.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

There aren't enough of those emoticons to express the eye rolling that was earned here...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

:P :P :P :P :P :P

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

If you ever, EVER think you're fingers are too fat to play the guitar, find a recent picture of Yingwe Malmsteen. If he can play like that with those flabby hands, then I sure as heck can too.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Whenever you think you're fingers are not capable, remember D'Jango Reinhardt. Django was a gypsy guitarist who's left hand was badly deformed in a fire. He only had the full use of two fingers on his left hand and partial use of the remaining digits. Django went on to play dispite this disability and was a famous jazz guitarists and toured for many years; even playing with the likes of Duke Ellington. So, whenever I feel that my hand just doesn't have the ability to play guitar, I just remember that i have four good fingers (fat though they may be) and Django played with only two fingers. :)

I just have to work harder to play better.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote