Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Are these "epiphanies" going to keep coming fast & furious?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been reading the lessons here; I've printed some out. I've printed the ones that have piqued my interest at a particular point in my learning, and there are more I will get to. I'm building a notebook for ready reference. Not only am I printing them, I am using them, of course.

Now, I have also been reading Rock Guitar For Dummies, pretty much from the beginning. I recently got up to the chapter on blues shuffle. I've thought "yeah, that's something different that I really must learn; there are so many songs that use it, I understand". I played the cd track for the lesson, tried my hand at it and thought my goodness this sounds familiar. The progression was G G6 C C6 D D6. Sometimes the For Dummies books can be a little too simplistic. So I turned to David's lessons on blues shuffle. As I read through I thought no wonder it all sounds familiar... I've been playing 12 bar blues in I Hear You Knocking! The C in David's lesson is literally a stretch for me (4 frets), but as he says in the article, practice.

I tried a few of David's examples, and well I'll be... I've known this all along. :D The timing and accent of the beats is different from song to song, but it's, as George Harrison said in For You Blue, "...same old 12 bar blues..." Get it On, Bang a Gong uses it too.

So, not only a shout out to David for great lesson articles, but excitment over things coming together with "ah ha! I get it". :D

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@alangreen)

Yep, you'd be amazed at how much music on this planet uses a straight 12-bar. The first Mrs Green put on some ghastly club track many years ago and decided to say that I probably couldn't play anything "as good as this" to which I just picked up the nearest axe and buried it in her head.......no sorry, wrong occasion.... picked up the nearest axe and played along with a shuffle-less 12-bar and told her it was standard rock n roll. She never played that record again.

Now, next up in your studies will be the ubiquitous I-vi-IV-V sequence, C-Am-F-G or G-Em-C-D for example. There's bucketloads of music that uses that too, from doo-wop to the Everly Brothers to Fleetwood Mac, to David Bowie, to members of the Guitar Noise Sunday Songwriters forum.

And you'll be sitting there one day, listening to the radio, and you'll think "...that sounds like...." and you'll be right.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Minotaur! :D

I like your posts because you share your experiences with the world and that helps! I don't know, I'm not playing so well these days, perhaps I'm not practicing so well or I'm not playing enough time. Your post reminds to me the old adagio: "practice"!

The blues is an incredible style of music for playing. I can be playing all the afternoon blues lines with my bass. But it is also amazing from the rhythm guitar point of you because you can use different voices of the usual I7, IV7 and V7 chords or even use more chords in the progressions, 9th chords, 13th chords... It always sounds great!

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Now, next up in your studies will be the ubiquitous I-vi-IV-V sequence, C-Am-F-G or G-Em-C-D for example. There's bucketloads of music that uses that too, from doo-wop to the Everly Brothers to Fleetwood Mac, to David Bowie, to members of the Guitar Noise Sunday Songwriters forum.

Ah, cool! When I took lessons we started to get into the I IV V progression, but never really used it. He just started to explain it. I have a full page colorful chart I made which has the chord progressions Roman numerals and their names, for each key. I have it "just because", but I will start studying it.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Congrats Minotaur! :D

I like your posts because you share your experiences with the world and that helps! I don't know, I'm not playing so well these days, perhaps I'm not practicing so well or I'm not playing enough time. Your post reminds to me the old adagio: "practice"!

The blues is an incredible style of music for playing. I can be playing all the afternoon blues lines with my bass. But it is also amazing from the rhythm guitar point of you because you can use different voices of the usual I7, IV7 and V7 chords or even use more chords in the progressions, 9th chords, 13th chords... It always sounds great!

Thank you.

I'm glad to know I'm giving something back here, after all I've been receiving.

Over the past couple of days I haven't really handled the guitar much, much less played (Saturday was the last time, which wasn't a bad session), but I've been reading. The 15-20 minutes that I held the guitar last night fleshing this out and letting it sink in was better than two hours of frustrating chord changes and saying "oh this is useless!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

yea it's neat when you have moments like that and finally recognize the things you have learned.

Bang a gong uses and odd shuffle rhythm though it's not a straight shuffle if I remember correctly

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it's a little weird. I watched Siggi do it, and I think he even said it takes some getting used to. But it's a great tune. :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So did the penny drop yet over "Werewolves of London?" It's not the regular shuffle pattern - but it's similar, and that four-fret stretch isn't going to kill you up at the 12th fret.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So did the penny drop yet over "Werewolves of London?" It's not the regular shuffle pattern - but it's similar, and that four-fret stretch isn't going to kill you up at the 12th fret.

:D :D :D

Vic

I've been doing it open chords, and it sounds pretty good, but I must put on my Big Boy Pants and try the shuffle and stretch. :lol:

ReplyQuote