Notifications
Clear all

ARPEGIATE

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@redhotukm)
Topic starter  

HI ALL, COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ARPEGIATE ? DO YOU MAKE THE CHORD THEN PLAY IT ONE STRING AT A TIME DOWN AND THEN UP - I AM NOT SURE THANK YOU

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes, to "arpeggiate" a chord is to play an "arpeggio." Hold a chord and play the strings in sequence, individually.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No need to shout.

"Arpeggio" bascially means "broken chord" - a chord that's played one note at a time. So if you play a fingered chord one string at a time, that qualifies.

But you may have noticed that chords can be played in more than one way... for example you can play

and both are G chords. That's because a chord is made up of specific notes - in the case of G, those notes are G, B, and D. The first "voicing" I showed puts B on the second string, the second voicing puts D on the second string.

What that means is that arpeggios can also be more complicated than simply strumming a chord one note at a time. You could also play ALL the chord tones, which would give you this:

-------------3-
---------0-3---
-------0-------
-----0---------
---2-----------
-3-------------

As you get into chords with more notes, like sevenths and ninths, the chords have more notes - so full arpeggios look more and more like scales as they get bigger. Here's a full G7 arpeggio, using the notes G, B, D, and F... the same four notes as a G7 chord:

-----------------1-3-
-------------0-3-----
-----------0---------
-------0-3-----------
-----2---------------
-1-3-----------------

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@redhotukm)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys appreciate it :D

ReplyQuote