Skip to content
Autumn leaves (any ...

Notifications
Clear all

Autumn leaves (any jazzman who can help?)

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was talking about the Gmaj7 chord in an other topic and I got an answer, but now, here's another problem

When I want to learn a song, I tried to get the chord progression first, and after, I listen to the song and try to get the beat and strumming pattern of it... I got the chord progression now, but can't get the strumming pattern of that song (Autumn leaves)...

The only audio file I listened from that song, I didn't hear too much chords... It was more the melody that was playing and I still have difficulties of getting the strumming pattern of a song like that...

And by the way, I'm not used to Jazz music style...

So do you have a idea of what will be the strumming pattern for the following chords?

A-7 (A minor 7) / D7 / Gmaj7 / Cmaj7 / F#-7 b5

Thanks if you can help!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=22182

I play the thing fingerpicked, but I could take a shot at the strumming tonight and post you an MP3.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Jazz isn't really much of a "strumming" musical style.

Where the guitar is used as a rhythm instrument in jazz, it's generally used to compliment other instruments. Make it syncopatic and it'll sound good. Stay minimalist and off-beat and it'll work.

The way I play Autumn Leaves, for what it's worth, is to play the melody notes, then hit the harmony chord of the current measure, then the chord of the coming measure, then back to the melody. There's lot of space in the song, so it's pretty easy to switch back and forth.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I understand what you mean when you say Jazz isn't a strumming musical style

But my teacher gave me this song to practice some jazz chord, so that's why I asked for the strumming :wink:

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Rhythm is the key to most music, regardless of genre.

But songs can often (and are often) performed in many ways. If the purpose of this is to get to know the jazz chords better, why not start with a simple rhythm? This should work:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

D D U U D

As mentioned, though, you can do this in lots of styles. Last time we played Autumn Leaves, we did it with a Latin beat and the guitar mostly played arpeggios consisting of eighth notes.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, thank you David!

I thought it was my own