Clear all

B minor chord

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys could any of you please tell me how to make the B minor chord? I need it for a song I'm trying to learn and when I look up diagrams of it there are five finger positionings. Im very new to playing and this makes no sense to me..Thanks alot

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Am barred at the 2nd fret

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

There's more than one. The two you'll come across most often are x24432 and 799777, use whichever works for you and/or the song...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks lads. The problem is I don't undersatnd tablature yet as I am very new to guitars. Would it be possible you could explain to me where to put my fingers for e.g. 1st finger, 1st fret, 2nd string etc. Sorry about this but I really don't have much of a clue..

Also biker_jim, when you say barred at the second fret could you explain that please?

Thanks again guys

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I would suggest reading one of the many barre chord threadslessons on this site

as misanthrope showed the X24432 is the first finger over all the strings at the 2nd fret (the barre) with the other fingers making an Am shape on at the 3rd and 4th frets instead of the 1st and 2nd. You don't play the topthick E string

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

sound a bit tricky but I'l get practicing, thanks again for the help guys.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

If you're new to barre chords it could be tricky to do it that way. They take a while to get right.

The notes you need for a Bminor chord
are B, D and F sharp.

biker_jim_uk explained how to put your fingers for the barre, but you may find that difficult. However, if you did nail it you'd be making the notes B, F#, B, D and F# again. You have two of the notes twice. That's good - it gives a nice full sound. But, if that's too hard, try just playing only the three thinnest strings like this:

Index finger (1) on the second fret of the thinnest (E) string - plays an F#
Middle finger (2) on the third fret of the next thin (B) string - plays a D
Ring finger (3) on the fourth fret of the next thin (G) string - plays a B

It's a thinner sound, but it's still a B minor. It'll probably do for now. :wink: In theory you could also hit the next open string (which is a D) and still be OK but it may not sound as good (but try it and see... 8) )

Another fairly easy way to play it is to put your first two fingers as above, then put the ring finger and pinky side by side on the fourth fret - ring finger on the D string and pinky on the the G string. It starts with an F# then and not a B, but still sounds OK. 8)

Experiment a bit.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: Fixed typo :oops: - Thanks Lars.... :)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Index finger (1) on the first fret of the thinnest (E) string - plays an F#

Typo I guess. Should be "on the second fret" :-)

Good suggestion tho'

Another slightly more complicated in between this one and full barre:

finger an a minor chords with middle finger on first fret on the second string, pinky on second fret on third string and ringfinger on second fret on the fourth string

(Would be written like this BTW x02210 - this is the strings on the guitar x means you don't play the lowest E, 0 means the A string / 5th string is open, 2 means fret second fret on the 4th / D and same on the 3rd / G string, and 0 means open E / 1 st string)

Slide it up two frets and add your index finger to the second fret on the first string
(xx4432)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Index finger (1) on the first fret of the thinnest (E) string - plays an F#

Typo I guess. Should be "on the second fret" :-)

Thanks Lars!! :oops: :oops: Corrected.... :wink:

I'm a shocker at typing out instructions involving numbers, fingers and frets, I invariably get one wrong - whether I'm asking or answering... :oops:

I blame senility....

Thanks for picking it up so quickly. :D

Cheers,

Chris
Slide it up two frets and add your index finger to the second fret on the first string
(xx4432)

Agreed - that's actually the same as my second suggestion (or what I was trying to say, anyway...). It's often the way I play it, instead of the barre. I'd never thought of just using 3 strings before, but after reading Gnease and Wes' advice about playing chords with less strings on electrics I might try it out that way when I next play the Strat.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Index finger (1) on the second fret of the thinnest (E) string - plays an F#
Middle finger (2) on the third fret of the next thin (B) string - plays a D
Ring finger (3) on the fourth fret of the next thin (G) string - plays a B

It's a thinner sound, but it's still a B minor. It'll probably do for now. :wink:
That is how I do it right now because I'm not so good at barre chords yet. It's a lot easier and still sounds ok.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I blame senility....

I take it you are not able to type out how old you are then? ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I blame senility....

I take it you are not able to type out how old you are then? ;-)

Oh yes, I can do that. :D

On many forums - Computer Games ones spring to mind - sooner or later there's a "how old are you?" thread and it's always very popular. Mostly I think because it's the one question we all know the answer to... :lol:

So - yes - I'm 600...

... no wait..

60. 8)

Cheers,

Chris
That is how I do it right now because I'm not so good at barre chords yet. It's a lot easier and still sounds ok.

Excellent! I've been backed up by a fellow guiarist! Good to know that somebody else likes simpler versions too. :)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

60. 8)

on this forum I think you should consider 004x15 ('what does your age chord sound like?' - hmm something for games and trivia?)
on the computer game forums I guess 111100 should be OK
lars

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

on this forum I think you should consider 004x15 ('what does your age chord sound like?' - hmm something for games and trivia?)
Am6! I'm just plain ol' Am :)

lars
I have just over a year to go before I need the 6th bit...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

lars

Nah.... too subtle for the computer gamers. Over there we don't know nuttin' bout dat maths and programmin' stuff - just fragging and frame rates man...

60's not a bad frame rate with all your settings maxed out though.... :twisted:

I just don't let 'em know it's my walking frame rate...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2