Clear all

b7

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok I've been working on playing B7 and I'm getting there. Its been a real struggle but lots of practice changes from E7 to B7 to A and E to B7 and back to E are paying off. What other chords generally go before and after B7? Has anyone got any suggested easy songs that I could practice B7 with, open chords only please.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

B7 is generally used as the V chord in the keys of E and Em.

In E, the primary chords are E, A and B7.

The secondary chords are F#m, G#m and C#m, so practice those. They are usually played as barre chords using the Em and Am shapes thus:

e|---2---4---9---4---9---11----
B|---2---4---9---5---10--12----
G|---2---4---9---6---11--13----
D|---4---6---11--6---11--13----
A|---4---6---11--4---9---11----
E|---2---4---9---x---x---x-----
F#m G#m C#m C#m F#m G#m

Em is the relative minor of G major and commonly occuring chords are:

Em, Am, Bm, B7, G, C, D.

Occasionally you may see F#dim, F#7, A, Gaug and so on, but mostly in jazz.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ok I've been working on playing B7 and I'm getting there. Its been a real struggle but lots of practice changes from E7 to B7 to A and E to B7 and back to E are paying off.
Which fingering of B7 are you using? There's an open version, x21202 that is a little tricky to get the hang of by itself, but before I was comfotable with barre chords I found it much easier to go from other open chords to that version. Might be worth a shot, see if it's right for you :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok I've been working on playing B7 and I'm getting there. Its been a real struggle but lots of practice changes from E7 to B7 to A and E to B7 and back to E are paying off.
Which fingering of B7 are you using? There's an open version, x21202 that is a little tricky to get the hang of by itself, but before I was comfotable with barre chords I found it much easier to go from other open chords to that version. Might be worth a shot, see if it's right for you :wink:

I'm using x21202 I was trying to find a few songs to put B7 into practice.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Do you like Monty Python?

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! :lol:

oh yes

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You need to listen to it to get the timings right (YouTube), but this one was quite good in building up the changes for me... and it's always good to have a couple of silly songs in your repetoire :)

/ Em - - - - B7 Em - / - - - - D - G - /
/ G - - - D Asus4 D - / Em D G - D - B7 - /

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken
To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin

/ G - D - /

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burnt off
And his penis...
- That's... that's enough music for now, lads...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

B7 is one of those chords that I don't think anyone's truly comfortable with....more often than not, I'll either do it at the 2nd fret....x24242 as an A7 shaped barre, or at the 7th....797877 as an E7 shaped barre. Another way to play it at the second fret would be x24445....using your ring finger as a mini-barre across the 4th fret, and your pinky for the top E string. Hey, it helps to have plenty of options!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You need to listen to it to get the timings right (YouTube), but this one was quite good in building up the changes for me... and it's always good to have a couple of silly songs in your repetoire :)

/ Em - - - - B7 Em - / - - - - D - G - /
/ G - - - D Asus4 D - / Em D G - D - B7 - /

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken
To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin

/ G - D - /

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burnt off
And his spam...
- That's... that's enough music for now, lads...
They came upon hard times so they ate Robins minstrels, and their was much rejoicing!!!! Yeeeaaah!!!! 8) :lol:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

B7 is one of those chords that I don't think anyone's truly comfortable with....
Vic

Time to think like a beginner. A B7 is certainly easier than a B. To hit a double barre on an acoustic starting out :shock:

Eventually a song will call for some kind of B chord and B7 is easiest to get without muting strings and all the other tricks.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Jase,

I imagine that you've already been trying out some 12 bar blues with the E, A and B7 as they're a classic set to use for that. But there's a trickier version that gives the pinky a real good workout if you fancy building up the strength and agility with that finger.

The 12 bars usually look something like this:

E, E, E, E, A, A, E, E, B7, A, E, B7

4 beats per bar and a nice chunky, shuffly sort of strum. But if you can get your pinky working you can do a different chord on each beat of the E and A bars, like this:

E, E6, E7, E6 (change chord every beat, by adding the pinky)

Where: E6 is 022120 and E7 is 022130 with the pinky dabbing on the B string.

A, A6, A7, A6 (same deal)

Where A6 is 002222 and A7 is 002223 with the pinky in action again, this time on the E string.

The B7 stays as 4 beats of B7 in those bars.

It's not easy to get right, but it's a good pinky workout, so I try to chuck in a quick stab at it on a regular basis. It's a pretty dirty sound you're after anyway, so you can get away with a little bit of buzz and hum.... :wink:

Very satisfying when it works. 8)

Cheers,

Chris
PS Apologies in advance if I've mistyped any of that. I've got a shocking record when it comes to typing out chord shapes. :?

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've also come across an arrangement of an old traditional song called Aura Lee that uses a B7. Apparently it's the same tune as "Love Me Tender" that Elvis Presley did.

Chords:

G, Am, D, G,
G, Am, D, G,
G, B7, Em, G,
G, Am, D, G.

All open chords still, but it gives you a G to B7 change. Not too bad to learn as your first two fingers keep the same shape even though they change position.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I've also come across an arrangement of an old traditional song called Aura Lee that uses a B7. Apparently it's the same tune as "Love Me Tender" that Elvis Presley did.

Chords:

G, Am, D, G,
G, Am, D, G,
G, B7, Em, G,
G, Am, D, G.

I forgot to mention that dom7 chords that are not in the V position (in this case, in the iii position), are what is called "secondary dominants".

A dom7 chord is "dissonant". It has a tension that begs resolution. The dissonance in a B7 comes from the tritone interval between the 3 (D#) and the 7 (A). As you change to an Em, D# moves to E and A moves to G which the ear percieves as a release of tension.

In this particular case, the B7 (III) strengthens the transition to the Em, in effect making a temporary key change to E minor.

Another common use for B7 as a secondary dominant would be as a ii in the keys of A/Am, where it strengthens a move to the V (E).

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@fingersnfumbs)
Eminent Member

songs you say

well in the ESD there is I'm only sleeping and The importance of being idle.

IME the transition in the Oasis one is far easier.

I think you've got a friend has it too an easier Em to B7 transition

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for the response.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2