Notifications
Clear all

Bad habits

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@stevie-long)
Topic starter  

I am trying to teach myself how to play using a DVD. What are common bad habits I should be mindful of?
I think after I gain strength in my hands and my finger tips aren't so sore every time I practice, I want to get private lessons. How much should I expect to pay for private lessons? Should I look for someone that plays the genre of music that I want to learn to play?
Any other advise for beginers would be appreciated.

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Hard to say what private lessons will cost, as that will vary from place to place. My instructor (SE Pennsylvania) charges $35 / hour. He is a very well respected musician and instructor in the area.

I would say to be sure to discuss, in depth, your goals with prospective instructors up front. It's important to both of you that he/she knows what you want to get out the guitar.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Hey pappa, I'm from Philly myself, and have to agree with ya...depends on a lot of diffrerent faqctors...my instructor charges about $25-$30 per hour, but since he is also a friend, I usually am there for two plus hours for $40...something we worked out between ourselves...

As far as habits go...a definite bad habit is not picking up the git at least once a day...even to simply strum some basic chords. Your fingers need the daily workout.

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member

I'm here in Warren county NJ and I just had my first lesson today.
He charges $20 for 45 min, but he seems to run for a full hour.
Anyway, a bad habit I'm guilty of is not keeping my fingertips perpendicular to the frets. This causes a lot of buzzes.
Lenny

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Here in california it seems to be $20 for half hour at a music store. Im taking some lessons right now for around $30 an hour.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Hey pappa, I'm from Philly myself
Figured there had to be more of us around, I'm about 25 miles outside of the city

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member

My bad habit is posture. I find that I'm always slouching and have the guitar tilted so that I can see the strings. Most instructors in my area ( Vancouver ) are about $20/half hour.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

ReplyQuote