Clear all

Barre Chord Help

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been working on barre chords lately and having a heck of a time making all the notes ring clear, especially the 1st and 2nd strings, which are right in the area of my knuckle joint on the fretting index finger. Do I need to build callouses there as well, and it gets easier after that? I just can't seem to get it right. :(

(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

When I learned barre chords it took a long time to get them sounding right. I had to experiment with my finger position a little to avoid the knuckle joints (as much as possible). But the best advice anyone on this board gave me was to keep trying. After a short while they became much easier. When I look back now, I don't really think I am doing anything different than when they sounded bad. As you develop your finger strength and muscle memory they will sound better.

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

the 1st and 2nd strings, which are right in the area of my knuckle joint on the fretting index finger

Whoa, I don't think your knuckle joint should be anywhere near the high strings unless your fingers are real short. I'd rather make sure the tip of your barring index finger extends just far enough to fret the 6th string and no more (when I do this my knuckle joint is at least 1.5 inches from the high string). If you also keep your thumb aligned with the barring finger, you'll be able to get a much, much stronger grip and that should help.

Rolling your barring finger towards the tuning pegs (shift elbow into your body) should also help.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well..I shouldn't say knuckle..what I meant was my next joint up from the actual knuckle

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

wow...good link there..some very good info..thx alot

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Well, well, from clicking that link I discovered you don't barre all the strings with your index in most cases (or some) its just the 6th string and the first and second. No wonder why I been scratching my head and why I wondered on some chord charts it shows only those strings fretted and not all the strings. Well silly me, but as much as I read all over the net about guitar playing its the first time I saw that mentioned :? I still don't know if I'll be able to play em but I did sound one

ReplyQuote