Notifications
Clear all

Barre Chords

34 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

barre chords don't hurt. 5 straight minutes of barre chords hurt. my technique's fine. it's just a long time to keep 6 strings fretted with one finger. i always have to shake it out after that song.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

lol I agree with Jason.

I was at a workshop, and in improv class, we would play something so everybody would improv, there were only 2 guitars and a bass, and the group was of like 10, so everyone soloed 24 bars of 12 bar blues ( 2 complete runs ).

And maaaan that hurt, cause it was in like Bb, so barre chords, but just one time of everyone soloing was alot of bars, and everyone soloed like 3 times! What I did was switch of with the other guitarist, because it got pretty brutal.

So I agree too much time with Barre chords and even if your technique is right it will start to hurt.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm afraid that my techniaque is close enough to what's described, but still get hand pain, especially thumb pain, after a few minutes of a song. Myabe I'll get someone to take some pics.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Anything by Jack Johnson is almost all barre chords. Banana Pancakes is where I perfected my barre shapes and technique, although 'perfected' is used loosely ;) Better Together is another easy barre chord song. The other thing is the songs sound great solo because they're almost all solo anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm afraid that my techniaque is close enough to what's described, but still get hand pain, especially thumb pain, after a few minutes of a song. Myabe I'll get someone to take some pics.

My hand aches after a couple of plays... I'm glad to hear this is normal...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm think that I'll have someone take a few pictures of my barre chords and post them here.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, I''ve recently started playing again after a break. Two things I was worrying about; hand strength, and callouses. Turns out I was worrying over nothing. I've been playing since Friday - during the day we normally listen to either a classic rock station or an oldies station. I've had the guitar plugged in, ready to pick up and play, and every time I've fancied playing along with a song I particularly like I've done exactly that. I've had no problems at all with barre chords; muscle memory seems to have kicked straight in. Had no trouble with the callouses either - it's only been a couple of days or so, but the fingers already seem to have toughened up a little.

Of course, I have been playing for quite a while - and I've always played a lot of barre chords. I've never had that much trouble with them, probably because when I started playing nobody told me they were supposed to be hard! To me, the E- and A-shaped barres are simply a convenient way of playing awkward chords - Bb, Eb, Ab, Db etc. Always remember there are more than five frets for a reason!

And of course, there's always an alternative - if I'm playing a song with a lot of barres, I'll probably use half-barre chords. At least, that's how I think of them - bringing my thumb around to cover the bottom E string, or even the E and A strings. I actually find it quicker with some transitions this way, for example moving from a barred D chord at the fifth fret to a barred G chord at the third fret. Or maybe moving to the barred G chord from an open Am chord - I use that trick in "More Than A Feeling." The verse of that particular song needs open chords for the fingerpicking chords - D and Dsus4, Cadd9 and G played this way - 320033. I find it easier to play the chorus riff - G, C, Em, D, C and G using barre chords, as, at the end of that chorus, there's an Ebm7 chord - much easier to move from a C chord at the third fret to an Ebm7 at the sixth fret than any other way!

Here's a couple of pics to illustrate what I'm saying.

This first picture is of a C chord. I'm actually playing it 332010 - I've always liked to play all six strings whenever possible, and that G note on the bottom E string is part of a C chord anyway, which is comprised of the notes C E and G.

In the next picture, I'm playing an F chord - 133211, with the thumb covering the root F note on the bottom E. Notice how little movement there is between the two chords? I find that particular voicing of F far easier than a full barre chord.

And from the F chord, it's a fairly simple matter to slide the whole shape up two frets to form a G chord.....

That's a I - IV - V progression in the key of C with the minimum of effort and fuss, and those F and G chords are what I refer to as half-barres - I'm not actually sure if that's the correct technical term for them, but doubtless someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, how's about a little experiment? Hold your fretting hand out flat in front of you, palm up. Now curl your thumb in towards the base of your little finger, then curl your fingers in till your little finger is almost meeting your thumb. When I do this, it's a very similar shape to the above pictures - I don't know if that's natural, or whether it's muscle memory from years of playing those particular shapes, but it's very convenient!

There are other ways those "half barres" come in handy, too - ever noticed, for example, how many songs have a D to Bm chord change? I play a D chord like this - 200232, with my thumb on the bottom E string, my first finger across the G B and E strings at the second fret, and my second finger on the B string, third fret. From there, it's a simple change to a Bm chord - 224432 - by simply moving my thumb across slightly to cover the E and A strings, and bringing my ring finger and pinky across to the D and G strings.

And of course, there is one other reason which might facilitate the easier playing of those barres and half-barres - I've always preferred light strings. I use 9's on all my guitars, electric and acoustic; for me, it's a simple equation. Low action + light strings = easy barres!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Barre chords in general were one of the easiest things for me on guitar and didn't have any issues when i started with them although my hands aren't as big as Vic's so i rarely use my thumb to fret the low E but in a few songs I do.

As for making yor hands ache I'd have to agreee with Noteboat. Usually they don't bother me alot but sometimes if I am gripping them to hard my hand will cramp a bit and I will need to shake it out, but not often.

If you do have trouble I'd say be conscious of your fretting hand position and don't put a death grip on the guitar and probably you want to start in the middle of the neck where the pressure is a bit less.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I think the main problem is not really the barre, but we immediately put it to use in a song or such and then tension does it work. At least I feel well ingrained patterns and songs are easier to play due to less tension. But I've been playing barres for a while and I still can't make it through some songs without feeling a bit worn out.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've read through this thread and everyone has some good points. (Especially NoteBoat being an actual guitar teacher) It's funny, but I have never taught lessons yet have been playing for so long (having mastered barre chords in 1977) my first reaction is "What's the big deal? They are easy." Then I think back and remember the pain and cramps. :? Definitely the death grip is not your friend. Once you get confident playing the chords you relax and then you can play them all day.

I guess I'm stating the old "Keep at it and it will get easier" line of advice.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

OK, so I'm taking one of many breaks during the great 2nd floor move around at Castle de le Mongo and started playing "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf. No barres. Stupid capo on 3, then play the rest of a G7 and a couple of open chords. similiar in nature to how Mellissa climbs the fret board a step twice with only fretting a few strings.

Anyhow, I just play this song and am getting the same pain as if I barred out "Sultans Of Swing" or something.

btw, anyone else try doing Billy Joel's "Captain Jack". Verses are F and BbMaj7 (I think) which is (1-1-3-2-3-1). Easy as ppie to do, and you get to do open chords for the choruses. This is one of the songs I cannot make it through. (Oooops, I just got some dressing on my skirt.....WUSSBAG!)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

btw, anyone else try doing Billy Joel's "Captain Jack". Verses are F and BbMaj7 (I think) which is (1-1-3-2-3-1). Easy as ppie to do, and you get to do open chords for the choruses. This is one of the songs I cannot make it through. (Oooops, I just got some dressing on my skirt.....WUSSBAG!)

F to Bbmaj7 isn't too bad a change - the first finger and second finger don't move. Normally, I'd capo for a song like that and play E and Amaj7....I'm unfamiliar with that song though, so I'll take your word for the open chords, Roy. I'm just a little worried that you have to dress in a skirt to play it.....not with my legs!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Interesting you mention that Vic. I have been amused since I joined this forum that you are Vic Lewis because I used to work with a wonderful lady named Vicki Lewis who is a nurse but ran a dance studio during the daytime. Your legs do not compare. :P

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Your legs do not compare.
I've heard that Mr Vic can cut the rug up pretty well. :P

OK, quick visual time. Vic in late '70's leisure suit leading an instanious, yet very well choreograph dance train of some sort to some disco. He was the kind of guy who could just walk up to the place, line waiting to get in going around the block. That line didn't apply to a man like Vic, though. One night it might be the leisure suit, the next night some tights, shorty-shorts and leg warmers. He'd take one look at you and say, "Stay thirsty, my friends".

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm just messing with you Vix. All in good humor (or humour, if you prefer)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you'd ever seen me "dance" - and I use the word in it's loosest possible meaning - well, all I can say is you would remember it. Probably when you wake up sweating with palpitations...

I have all the natural rhythm of a train crash, and all the co-ordination of Bambi on ice.

As for suits - I bought one in 1978, one in 1979 (for my first wedding) and one in 2005. Last wore that in 2006. Nearest I ever get to wearing a suit these days is jeans and a denim jacket.

And - sorry to spoil the image, Roy, but I never went to discos - I was the guy sat in the pub, feeding the jukebox and playing loud rock'n'roll!

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3