Barre without using thumb

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I've been playing for about 8 months now and the standard open chords are no problem anymore.
Two months ago i began with practicing barre chords and i've made some pretty good progress since then.

However, there is one major problem...my thumb really starts hurting after doing a few barre chords. Up till now i played through the pain telling myself that it would go away with practice, but when my thumb kept hurting for days after a weekend of hard playing i realized that this wasn't the way to go, so i began looking for alternatives.

I came across http://www.tabcrawler.com/articles.php?action=readarticle&articleid=82 this article which says not to use your thumb at all for barre but to pull from your back. I've been using this method for two days now and it's going pretty well. The quality of my barre isn't as good compared to squeezing with my thumb (especially low on the neck, 1st and 2nd frets), but it doesn't hurt my thumb at all, so hopefully the quality will improve with practice...

I'm wondering if there is anyone else who uses this method...i remember an article by David in which he told students to remove their thumbs from the back of the neck to do barrés, but i can't seem to find it anymore....

Cheers,
Pleph

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont use that method specifically, although the back tension/release is part of a physical therapy program I did to releive neck tension.

the main point of the article is about relaxation and posture.

also the remark about the barre F. I agree. one tough chord and that's where beginners start. why is that? learn barre chords higher on the neck to get the fingers and thumb and back prepared.

one doesnt have to kill the thumb with tons of pressure. sure some strength is needed, but importantly it is the release of the pressure after playing the chord.
squeeze an egg. same thing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If you got big fingers , then i guess try both ways.

If you got small fingers barre is the only solution 8)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

As you progress with barre chords, you will find that you do indeed use your thumb primarily to steady and position your hand but not to squeeze the neck. What you're saying is correct, you should be able to articulate the barre chord even without your thumb touching the neck. David talks about this somewhere in one of his lessons. If your thumb hurts, you're pressing too hard.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've heard of that, but it puts a lot of pressure on the neck of the guitar. the muscles in your hands are small and it will take a lot longer for the strength to build up there, as compared to other physical activities, like running, for instance.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

One reason the F barre chord (based on the E form) is so tough is it is close to the nut, and many guitars -- even the pricey ones -- are cut too high at the nut. If you find it is really a lot easier to do a G or G# barre as compared to the F, then there is a good chance little nut work will improve you guitar's playability.

How to tell if the nut is cut correctly: lightly fret the low E just in front of the third fret. Look at that string's clearance over the first fret. This clearance should be very slight and almost not discernable to the eye. If no clearance is easily visible, then using the other hand (still fretting with the first), tap the low E right over the first fret. If there is some "invisible" clearance, there should be a distinct click, as the string strikes the fret. This this a good nut height setup -- almost indiscernable visual clearance with the audible click when tapped. If the clearance over the first fret is clearly visible and more than a small fraction of the string thickness, the nut probably requires a bit of cutting, and the guitar may be difficult to play in the first couple frets. Also, the guitar may not sound properly tuned for all chords/positions up and down the frets.

Also note that if there is no observable first fret clearance and no click when tapped, the nut maybe cut too low. This causes different problems -- either buzzing or the need for compensation by raising the bridge. The latter makes playing further up the fretboard more difficult.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Until you get used to barre chords,just practice without trying to make a perfect bar with your index finger ie.just use the tip of your index finger and play the chord as if it were an open chord.When strumming the chord just miss the strings your not holding down eg.when playing A major dont hit the B+E strings for Am just hit the E,A,+D strings.I appreciate any guitar teachers out there will be pulling there hair out at the very thought of it,but learning guitar should be enjoyable not some kind of torture.I taught my son to play barre chords this way as he couldnt get his head (or hand) around the idea of being able to barre all six strings at once.Within a couple of weeks he was playing barre chords better than me! and I.ve been playing for nearly 20 years.
HOPE THIS HELPS.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes the F barre chord kills me on my classical guitar. :( :( :( and moresoever the A# chords :evil: .But i cannot use the thumb becauz you must be knowing that the neck is wider in classical guitar and i am not having hendrix style fingers :x

ReplyQuote