Clear all

Barring with ring finger

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I can barre pretty good with my index finger but when it comes to barring with the ring finger, I find it almost impossible (not to mention very painful). The tip simply cannot bend enough to create a good-sounding barre. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How is it supposed to be done? Should I be barring with the side of the finger or the underpart?

(@Anonymous)

Keep at it...I had a hard time as well when I began double barring chords. My ring finger wouldn't bend like I wanted it to either. Try working up higher on the fretboard (maybe 5th to 10th frets or so)...it will come. I still can't get the high E string when I double barre and I have been at it for about 14 months.

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Keep at it...I had a hard time as well when I began double barring chords. My ring finger wouldn't bend like I wanted it to either. Try working up higher on the fretboard (maybe 5th to 10th frets or so)...it will come. I still can't get the high E string when I double barre and I have been at it for about 14 months.

Thanks, that's encouraging at least. I'll just have to stick with it. then. :)

I don't know what you mean by double barring though. I've never heard the term.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You said that you are having problems barring with your ring finger correct? Usually when you barre with your ring finger you automatically barre your index as well. HERE is an example (look at the A barre chord under Technique and Application. Another example is in the photo below:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Puke

First of all, it is very common for players to have a problem with the "A barre" type chord pictured in Mike's post. So there is nothing unusual about that. And it will come with practice.

I have a little unusual way of playing this chord, and recently I saw a very good guitarist who uses the same technique. I kind of point my fingers back toward the body of the guitar. I also slightly roll my index and ring fingers toward my pinky. I do not hold my fingers flat like the pic above. But also, I will often (not always) lay my middle finger on top of my ring finger and press down for extra support. And this is exactly the method the guitarist I saw did also. I am not saying this is necessarily good technique or form, but it works for me. But I can hold the barre A without this extra finger, if you look at my avatar this is the very type chord I'm holding. I usually use my other finger for support only when down low like the 1st or 2nd fret.

So, practice it the proper way, but if that's not working maybe try this method. What is important is that the chord sounds properly, not that you do it like everyone else. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You said that you are having problems barring with your ring finger correct? Usually when you barre with your ring finger you automatically barre your index as well. HERE is an example (look at the A barre chord under Technique and Application. Another example is in the photo below:

Ah thanks, I understand what you mean. It's not the way I was planning on using a ring finger barre though. I was thinking of using it for power chords mostly. For faster switching. The A barre shape isn't much of a problem for me because my fingers are small and so I can manage with the middle, ring and pinky approach most times. However, I can see how a ring finger barre could come in handy on the smaller frets.

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Puke

First of all, it is very common for players to have a problem with the "A barre" type chord pictured in Mike's post. So there is nothing unusual about that. And it will come with practice.

I have a little unusual way of playing this chord, and recently I saw a very good guitarist who uses the same technique. I kind of point my fingers back toward the body of the guitar. I also slightly roll my index and ring fingers toward my pinky. I do not hold my fingers flat like the pic above. But also, I will often (not always) lay my middle finger on top of my ring finger and press down for extra support. And this is exactly the method the guitarist I saw did also. I am not saying this is necessarily good technique or form, but it works for me. But I can hold the barre A without this extra finger, if you look at my avatar this is the very type chord I'm holding. I usually use my other finger for support only when down low like the 1st or 2nd fret.

So, practice it the proper way, but if that's not working maybe try this method. What is important is that the chord sounds properly, not that you do it like everyone else. :D
I really get what you mean by using the middle finger for extra support. That's what I do to help my index finger on the lower frets. I think I'd definitely need the extra support for my ring finger more, though.

I'll either have to find a way to strengthen my fingers or I'll have to grow an extra middle finger so that both index and ring fingers can have extra support. :wink:

ReplyQuote