Clear all

Barring

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong to cause power chords, and open chords in open tunings to buzz...........it was my thumb. I was playing with it wrapped around the neck but as soon as I put it on the back of the neck on the fattest part, the buzzing sound was gone.

Since I was playing cleanly, I decided to try a barre chord, the F chord. I managed to play it cleanly too but had one problem, my wrist hurt while I was playing it. Is that normal when playing barre chords?

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

It may hurt a little as the muscles there aren't used to the use. Also check and make sure your wrist is straight as possible so you aren't putting any undue strain on it. ANd, it sounds like you may be squeezing the neck a bit hard with the thumb.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I get the same pains.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First and foremost, yes, it's normal when you start playing barre chords for your thumb to hurt. As you get moe confident, you'll relax and it will go away.
The only other thing, that may help, is to move the guitar further round towards the left side of your body. From the avatar, I'd say that you have the middle of the body sitting on your right hip. Although the neck position is good, you're having to put your left hand a fair way forward and causing the wrist to bend. Try putting the guitar more centrally - more parallel to both hips.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

one other suggestion try practicing the same chord up the neck a bit...maybe the 3rd or 5th fret...itsa bit easier there and one you can fret the strings cleanly you can move to the 1st & 2nd fret.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

athough I do like playing chords with the thumb over the neck
there are some chords that just need to be played with the thumb behind the neck; just as you have found.
F bare chord is painful. it will be less painful eventually, but it will always be uncomfortable.

a trick to making clean sounding barres is to have your thumb pointing somewhat toward the headstock.
you have the advantage of leverage.also pressure/release is important.
press when chording then release. it helps with muscle fatigue.
props OneWing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

i agree with dogbite, i just realized that when i play barre chords i point my thumb towards the headstock and it does give you more leverage. try it.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote