Clear all

Basics

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cobra22)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I read an article on another web page that the best way to be a good guitar player is to study the basics, and know them well. And then move onto more complicated areas. I believe that what he has said is a good foundation for long lasting play. I was hoping to read a few sugestions on how to incorporate a strong understanding of the basicas, while still finding a wide variety of enjoayble things to play also. Any comments would be great.

I am addicted to the guitar, just like I am addicted to air and water.

(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Hi Cobra. I think this will depend on your individual goals. I'm a few months into playing guitar, so I can give you my ideas, but I think everyone will have suggestions.

For me, the goal is to play songs I like for myself and other people.

The first thing I learned was how to make a few chords (G, C, D, Em) and do some simple strumming to easy songs. For that, I think the beginner lessons at about.com, http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm are a great resource. Basic chords are introduced in each lesson, and at the end of each lesson are a few songs you can play and practice. This has the advantage of being immediately fun.

But as to developing basics, learning how to switch among chords and strum along with your favorite songs will develop your sense or rhythm and timing (which is important no matter what you want to do). Just keep finding harder and harder songs to emulate.

Get a metronome, and use it.

Learning some music theory can be really fun. I have a few friends who play much better than I do, and simply learning chord progressions allows me to 'jam' with them. They play complicated things over the rhythm that I provide. If you want to understand that theory better, the Skeptical Guitarist series of books is pretty good. I have Vol. 1 and 2.

Reading music can (supposedly, according to people here ;) help you understand theory. There are a few books for this.
Mel Bay Modern Method for Guitar series of books doesn't use tabs at all. Grade 1, 2 and 3 come with accompanying CDs, but Grades 4, 5, 6, and 7 don't.
Mel Bay Mastering the Guitar 1A, 1B, etc.. . Each one comes with a pair of CDs. This mixes tab and staff.
The Hal Leonard Complete Method book has CDs, but half of it is tabbed out, so it's not as useful for learning how to read. It is meant for beginners.
Modern Method for Guitar by Leavitt comes with CDs for Vol. 1 and 2, but 3 does not. This series is considered more advanced.

I prefer CDs as I don't have a teacher. I'm going to do the Hal Leonard book first, then go back and work on the Modern Method.

Some people say get a teacher. I don't have one (yet), but perhaps in a year or so.

In general, I think at least half of the time you should work on playing songs (your own or ones you like), and the other half you can use to advance your technique or understanding of theory.

At least, that's my plan.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The advice is sound, master the basics. Everything builds on what you already have.

The first couple of years I played, I was self-taught, and I picked up some bad habits. Took me quite a while (and a decent number of lessons) to break 'em - like Mark Twain said, "habit cannot be tossed out the window, it must be coaxed down the stairs one step at a time".

Redpoint is dead on that it depends on your individual goals. In a way, it also depends on your individual technique - advice like "keep the headstock up" is good for everyone, but how far up depends on your build in relation to the guitar, and the length, strength, and flexibility of your fingers. A good teacher can help you sort that stuff out.

If you can't afford/don't want a teacher, play what appeals to you, and be prepared to take one or more steps back as you uncover bad habits. When I started playing, I fingered a G chord with 213 fingering. I did ok with that - until I tried to learn Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. There's a rapid set of C-G changes towards the end of that that are simply impossible with that fingering, and it took me months of effort (and a bunch of lessons) to nail it the right way, with 324 fingering.

But keep at the stuff you like to play whlie you conquer those hurdles. I'm working on a right hand technique on classical guitar now that's giving me fits - I've put in over 100 practice hours on it, and it's barely beginning to feel natural. So I work on it for an hour or two a day, and then I'll rip through pieces that I can already play and enjoy. That keeps me going at it - and I know six months or a year from now I'll be able to do pieces I couldn't do before :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member

Learning the basics first is definitely the best idea... if you don't get so bored you give up the instrument. I tried learning the basics when I first started out and HATED it, so I didn't bother with it. I've been playing only what I want to play for several hours a day for a little over a year now. I still haven't learned all the basics and I can play well. But I'd play a lot better if I knew all the theory. I'm to the point now that I WANT to learn music theory, because it's the next step of progression. It doesn't frustrate me anymore.

The most important part of guitar is not what you learn and in what order... the most important thing is that you actually enjoy everything your doing. If it feels like a chore you will eventually stop playing. I enjoy everything I play, and if I don't like it I don't play it.

ReplyQuote