Notifications
Clear all

Beginner Guitar/Bass Question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@spidey4549)
Topic starter  

I own an old acoustic guitar that my dad used to play back in the day. I learned to play it when I was really young, but I soon got out of it. I have recently decided to try to learn guitar again, but I'm going to have to start from scratch. I would really like to get an electric to start learning on again. For one my acoustic feels too big for me and since I already have an acoustic, I don't really need to worry about getting another one. I also believe I would be more inclined to keep learning easier because I wouldn't get frustrated with an instrument I was more interested in and I wouldn't put the guitar down as easily as I did when I was younger. The main question I have though is that I've always felt like I wanted to play and learn electric bass. I was just wondering if I should start learning guitar again with my acoustic or an electric guitar first, and then move onto learning bass. Or if it would be more beneficial to just start off and buy a bass to play since that is what I really feel like I want to play. Also could I get a few suggestions on a good, reasonably priced, either beginner electric guitar or bass also. Thanks.

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

If you really want to play bass then you should get a bass... you gotta follow your heart... especially if your instrument motivates you... you can always pick up your acoustic when you feel like playing a 6 string for some variation.
There is a good thread here for selecting a bass for a beginner..

Good luck and welcome to the noise..

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I agree with Jmin--if you yearn for a bass, start there. You can always expand and get an electric 6-string if you want to down the road. The bass, together with the drums, is the heartbeat of the music.

I just got a bass myself, and am enjoying the learning.

If you're not aware of it already, David Hodge (of here at GuitarNoise) just released a book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar. It's the perfect place to start, along with lessons, tips, and expertise available here at GN.

Visit the Bass Guitar forum here at GN for discussions specific to bass guitar.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@spidey4549)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get a bass and start learning to play it.

ReplyQuote