Clear all

bending

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 bit
(@bit)
Topic starter  

Is there any problem with bending the string down instead of up? Is that a bad habit to get into?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Is there any problem with bending the string down instead of up? Is that a bad habit to get into?
Some people say that you should always bend towards the middle of the neck.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Some people say that you should always bend towards the middle of the neck.

That's what I've always done - bent the E A and D strings downwards towards the middle of the neck, and the G B and E strings upwards towards the middle of the neck. This way, with light strings, I can bend a long way from the original note. The only problem comes if you're simultaneously bending the D and G strings - if that happens, bend 'em whichever way feels most natural.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

common sense dictates string bends.....if you bend down on G/B/e you will come off the fretboard :roll: ....unless your just bending a little of course 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

in my mind it is easier to push than pull a string. my bends are towards the middle of the neck.
it is very rare I bend the 5 and 6 string.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

common sense dictates string bends.....if you bend down on G/B/e you will come off the fretboard :roll: ....unless your just bending a little of course 8)

"Common sense" isn't always correct. As in many disciplines, there are always exceptions.

For example, I nearly always bend the G downward, as I've got a very strong grip and that direction will take the note up a step and a half, even in the middle of the fingerboard. If I want to go further than 1.5 steps, I reverse directions -- without even thinking about it. The other reason for going in both directions is a slow, wide vibrato, which can be done very smoothly as a two-direction bend. Easy to master on all but the E and e.

People seem to like to lock themselves into the rules and believe there are absolutes. Maybe that's comforting. But most of what one reads in this forum are opinion and guidelines -- including what I write. Remember that. Don't be afraid to experiment.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote