Clear all

bending, how many notes?

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey, i have been playing guitar for about 3 months or so now, and i would like to know something about bending notes. if my mind servves me right then a full bend is 2 frets from the bend, like bending 5 to 7, anyhow, thats an ''A'' to an ''H'' making a full bend.. anyhow, if a tabs says fully bend the 12th fret on the E string should i then bend it up to ''F'' or F#'' if u know what im saying please respond,

(@corbind)
Noble Member

F#. You are right: a full step bend = two frets. A half step is one fret.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yeah. a bend is typically one interval. an interval is two frets.
it is like playing a scale. you notice that most of the notes are an interval (two frets apart). a bend is an interval, but with soul.
bends are where we have the chance to put feeling into things.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Usually on a tab, it'll tell you how far to bend a note - something like 12b14r12. That'd mean play the note at the 12th fret, bend until it sounds like you're playing the same string at the 14th fret, then release the bend so you're playing the note at the 12th fret again.

Bending's one of those skills you tend to develop automatically - after a while, your ear will tell you what's right. Playing at the higher frets, it's not uncommon for a guitarist to play one note and bend it 4 or even 5 semitones!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You'll find that there are any number of different sized bends - from 1/4 tone to 1 1/2 or 2 tones (just look at some Jimi Hendrix for those). It depends on a lot of things - as dogbite says, it adds interest to the music. Listen to the Shadows Cavatina, it's liberally spiced with semi- and whole-tone bends.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Slowhand, are you German?

I rarely hear of the note "H." In America we normally call that "B," with the note a half step below it being "Bb" or "A#." I knew what you meant, though. Some on here might not, which is why I bring it up. Slightly different systems of notation.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No, im danish :D in here we use EADGHE.. ill just post it as B from now on when using english sites like this :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Here I remember "standard tuning" (which I don't use very often) with this mnemonic:

Eat All Day, Get Big Easily.
:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i used this one ''Er alle danske guitarister helt ens'' means ''is all danish guitarplayers totally the same'' sounds better in danish tho :P

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I expect it does. I used to have a young Danish friend, and it sounded mighty nice when she spoke Danish. Could've just been her, though. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Playing at the higher frets, it's not uncommon for a guitarist to play one note and bend it 4 or even 5 semitones!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I cringe at even trying that. Good Lord, I can't reasonably do a full step bend as of yet!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i actually avoid really big bends when i practice because they so often result in a bang, me jumping out of my skin, and the string no longer being there.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

yeah. a bend is typically one interval. an interval is two frets.

An interval is a musical distance between two notes, it could be anything. What you're referring to is a second interval, which could be either minor (1 step) or major (2 steps), and for completenesssake the diminished 2nd (0 frets, the same as a unison interval) and augmented second (three frets, and the same as a minor third interval). A major/minor scale (or any of the seven modes) is a collection of second intervals stacked on top of each other. The only difference is some are minor 2nds (E-F and B-C for example, in the C-major scale) and the rest is a major 2nd interval.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I cringe at even trying that. Good Lord, I can't reasonably do a full step bend as of yet!

Well, Eric Clapton ain't a bodybuilder so it can't have much to do with strength I guess. ;) Try bending the 15th fret up two semitones, you'll find it much easier. That's why Eric's huge bends are always played high up the neck, it makes bending a piece of cake.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Or change to some really light strings like 9's

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2