Notifications
Clear all

Bending strings - Push or go under

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@turbo411)
Topic starter  

When bending strings, especially on my acoustic, I tend to go under the strings above the string I'm bending. Those strings simply slide up my nailand out of the way of the bending string. The problem is its wearing away my nail.

I notice other people simply push the other strings up when they bend the string. I've tried to do this but the strings still slide above my finger. Can anyone please advise? Pictures would certainly help!

Thank you

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Instead of pushing, you could try pulling your bends. I do both, and choose which to use depending on the situation. Some strings you have to pull because bends would push the string off the fretboard if you push. :)

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I used to do that when I was first learning bends. It was the result of finger angle and finger strength. My fingers were too upright and so the strings above ended up sliding up my nail. It also takes some finger strength to be able to push not only the string I want to bend but the others too. You can also use multiple fingers to assist the finger doing the bend.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I found in my playing that if something bothered me eventually I would find a way to correct it.
you will too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There is no right or wrong as long as the end result works for you. For me, it's both and either -- all depends upon the guitar, its strings and setup.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I used to have a similar problem - in time, I gradually developed the technique of resting my index fingers on the adjacent strings and damping them AND pushing them out of the way. The biggest problem I actually had was string noise from the adjacent strings - I found that by damping/muting them, I was also pushing them out of the way.

It's probably more noticeable on your acoustic because of the higher action.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It's probably more noticeable on your acoustic because of the higher action.

:D :D :D

Vic

And, the string gauges on an acoustic is thicker than an electric. One trick I just thought of to solve your problem, would be to string and electric (if you have one) with very light strings - say 8s. Should make bending much easier, so you can work on your technique. Gradually increase string gauge thickness, when you feel ready to move up to heavier strings.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Maybe your action is too high ? If you can adjust it lower maybe your fingertip radius will get above the offending adjacent string and then you can push both strings .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member

so far i have noticed when i bend a string up i generally hit the other strings and they make sound i guess its just all in the technique i shall continue to practice

ReplyQuote