Clear all

bent wrist?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@xtremesheep)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i read in a book that u should keep your wrist straight when u play. i tried this and the only way i can reach all the strings and play is if i bend my wrist. i tried alot of different stap lenght and positioning of the guitar, but the only way i can play is to bend my wrist. so could someone explain to me what to do, or can i just play with my wrist bent?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Check the position of the guitar in relation to your body. If you can't reach all the strings, you're probably holding the neck at too low an angle.

You don't say if you're playing acoustic or electric - some beginners 'angle' the guitar (so they can see the fretboard), and that angle forces them to bend the wrist. It's more pronounced with acoustic, since the construction places the neck a bit more 'out' - away from the body - than electric construction.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Make sure you neck is angled properly in another way too. You don't want to have it too horizontal. Rotate the guitar so that the headstock is higher if you need to.

ReplyQuote
(@g-wiggah)

yes, i am having the same problem as well. but's its so much easier to press down w/ my fingers.

then again, i want to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome as well

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I find the best way to correct is to check the elbow, if everything is in place, i.e.

you're not leaning over the neck
your angulation is correct
your rotation is good

then move you're elbow away from your body, don't flex your arm to hold it there, just move it a few inches away and your wrist will move with it

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote