Clear all

Best amp to start with???

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What is a decent amp to start with? I have a Fender American Standard Strat Satin Mexican made. I would like to purchase a decent amp for about $300 or less. I would eventually like to start playing Pink Floyd, Zepplin, and some newer music. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

(@banre)
Reputable Member

At that price range, you can get a very nice amp. If you want to have a big range of sound, I would suggest a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. At 30 watts, it packs plenty of punch, unless you are playing bigger gigs. It has a built in power level control to be able to dial in a cranked up sound at lower, more home-friendly volume levels.

As for sounds, you can pretty much get any sort out of it. It has 11 amp models on it, ranging from a super clean boutique, through the Marshall heads of the 70s and 80s, up to the super high gain sounds of Mesa. Add in that it also has 11 built in effects, you can perfect just about any sound with just this piece of gear.

For some samples on the different sounds this guy can get, try http://www.valvetronix.net and http://www.patchtronix.net . Those are two sites that users of the amp submit different settings, allowing you to customize the sort of sound you want a little easier. I know that all those different settings can be daunting. Look up a Nirvana sound, dial it in, and you take a shortcut. Really helps you get a feel for the different settings.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How is that amp compared to the Vox AD15VT. I know 15 watts but the overall sound.
Greg

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

It's really the same amp. Bigger speaker and more power, but all the amp models and effects are identical.

The major difference, in my mind, is the power level knob on the back. The 15 doesn't have it. Since these amps are tube hybrids and are built to feel like super expensive tube amps, to get a "great" tone you have to crank up the volume to overdrive the tubes. The power level knob allows you to do just that, but then lets you turn down the volume further down the chain in order to keep that same tone at lower volume levels.

I hope I explained that ok.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Spot on, Banre - the perfect choice of amp - serious tone at a reasonable price!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have to say go with the Behringer GMX210 (60 watts) or the GMX212...(100 watts)...I think that this is the best bang for the buck...

I have the GMX210 and it has many of the features the high priced amps have at less cost.

Whatever you decide you should go and try out several amps. Only you can decide what sound is best for you and what features you are going to need.

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

For an extra $60.00 go with the 30watt Vox? Thank you for you input it is greatly appreciated. So the Vox with my mexican made strat should sound a lot better than my cheap guitar research amp that was a gift.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Another vote for the Vox

ReplyQuote