Clear all

Book discussion.

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@arfinwulf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I can strum a few chords and play a few songs, and would like to buy a book or two. What
beginner/intermediate guitar lesson books have you, the board in general, used and what do you suggest?

Namaste.

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

great question, and many answers, depending on what style you like and what your goal is. Without knowing anything about you, here is what I have done:
- started out with the Beatles Songbook (hah, many many years ago)
- used 101 Songs for Easy Guitar (got a bit annoyed due to the lack of strumming patterns)
- still enjoy anything by Stefan Grossman (acoustic blues guitar)
- sometimes use the Ultimate Pop Rock Fake book (not all songs are easy though)
- use GuitarPro software and download lots of songs from the internet (easy to play along with)
And everytime I go to a good music store, I end up buying another book (like The AC/DC Riff Book, a classic)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I like the Ultimate White Pages, not all songs are easy, but you can generally get a feel for how it should be played and make it yours.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@arfinwulf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. What beginner lesson books have you used? I've considered Blues You Can Use, although the stuff I like (or try to) play is more CCR, Iron & Wine, John Mellencamp, etc.... BYCU seems to be a good program even for general learning, but would like to know that ya'all on the board have used.

Namaste.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

This may help you.

Guitar for Dummies

As for myself, I used no book. But, I used the good 'ol internet to a great extent.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might browse the reviews forum for suggestions too.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

This may help you.

Guitar for Dummies

As for myself, I used no book. But, I used the good 'ol internet to a great extent.

Good Luck !

And Rock Guitar for Dummies.

And Music Theory for Guitarists. I think the author Tom Serb is Noteboat on this site.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I'll second (or is it third) the recommendation for Blues You Can Use.

I'll also add the National Guitar Workshop books. They have different 3 book series' (beginner, intermediate, master/advanced) for different styles - Blues, Jazz, Rock, etc. I've used the Beginning Blues Guitar and dabbled with the Beginning Jazz Guitar books. They have similar books for rock too. The Beginning Blues Guitar book is a better place to start than Blues You Can Use which assumes you have certain skills already and doesn't give a lot of technique detail. It's still a very good book but you need to be at a certain level first to make it useful. I went from the NGW blues book to BYCU and it was a good way to use them.

The NGW beginner blues book goes into lots of technique detail and has exercises specific to the technique. The jazz one too has lots of details though neither of those is designed for an absolute newbie. I'd imagine that their rock series books are similarly laid out though I don't know for sure - maybe you can "look inside" at Amazon or check them out locally first.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Beginning Blues Guitar by David Hamburger is a great book, and so is the follow-up Intermediate Blues Guitar. I also like Beginning Acoustic Blues Guitar (also by National Guitar Workshop). BYCU is great although not for beginners.

One series of guitar books I've bought lately is - and this is for beginners - RGT Acoustic Guitar Playing. It's a series of books intended for lessons with teachers, and after you finish a book, you certify for a particular level. It comes with CDs, and I find that I can use it easily without a teacher and slowly work my way through them.

If you are into heavy stuff, Troy Stetina has a whole series of books (Rock, Metal, Lead, Rhythm etc) that are all pretty good.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

BLoss66,
I have been trying to PM you but not sure if I have been successful? anyway read on .....
G'day Keith here,
I am in Sydney too, Roselands..
I am nearly 50 ughhhhh been playing a few years had a teacher for a while but found it overwhelming, too much information too quick and not enough practice time...
Anyway I am into Blues, Beatles and 70's stuff I guess. Let me know if you would like to get together and have a jam sometime.
Cheers
Keith
BTW,
Have you discovered this site yet?
http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/
Lawrence Fritts has some great backing tracks too huh!

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I highly suggest Guitar Aerobics- Hal LeonardThis book is very usefull and very well written.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

I highly suggest Guitar Aerobics- Hal LeonardThis book is very usefull and very well written.

Agree, it's a great book, lots and lots of exercises to increase your technical skills....

ReplyQuote