Clear all

Book for switching from acoustic to electric

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gallileo)
Topic starter  

I've been lurking here a while, and love GN, but I finally have a question:

I've been playing acoustic for a couple of years now, not where I want to be, but it's coming along. Lately I've been thinking it would be fun to pick up an electric, but going into guitar center and noodling on them is pretty wierd, I"m hitting notes and chords, but it sounds more like poorly played acoustic than a poorly paid electric.

Is there a good book that talks about how the technique is different? Most seem to start too basic for me?

I'm looking at country and folk-rock styles if that makes a difference. Probably be picking up an Ibanez Fat-Strat copy and a cheap amp off of craigslist, as that seems like the most versatile....

g

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I know of no books that deals with that topic.
I do know how you feel.
the first time I played electric it was LOUD.

but now it isnt loud enough.

my advice is to simply plug in, turn up, and discover.

there is really no comparison, just differences.

some techniques are the same
some are different.

each has their own unique qualities. that's why I play both.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Gallileo,

No I haven't seen any books about the difference between the two, and believe you me, I've been to GC, Borders, Barnes/Noble and scoured over all of their available guitar books.

As simply as I can put it.. this is my experience (adjusting) between the two.

Accoustic: You need to FINESSE the sound out of the instrument.
Electric: You need to CONTROL the sound out of the instrument.

Electrics is a light light touch. Alot of Palm and Left Hand Muting. Todays pickups are so sensitive it doesn't take much to make a sound.

Accoustics on the other hand.. I very rarely Palm Mute and I have to play/attack harder to get it to sound or volume.

Its sort of like having a Truck and a Car. They just feel and drive different, plus the perspective of eyesite on the road.

I think just seat time between the two will get you there.

Make sense?

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've never seen or heard of a book for that, either, and don't think one would really help much anyway. It's all feel. And you can't learn that from a book!

I can tell you this, though. After playing acoustic for 2 years, when you do play an electric, fully expect to hit some clangers. And, those riffs that you can play in your sleep now will give you trouble for a few days and you can expect a small bit of frustration. Get over that. Once you get used to the feel of an electric, all the things you may have been struggling with on acoustic are going to fairly fly from your fingers with the greatest of ease! Even holding an acoustic feels completely different than holding an electric.

So, just as you were told when you first picked up your acoustic ... practice, practice, practice when you do get an electric and it won't take long for you to make the conversion. BUT!!!! Don't put your acoustic away! Play it often so that it begins to feel natural and "right" to play either one, so that you can switch off if necessary without any "adjustment" period.

IMHO! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Gallileo,

Do you flatpick or fingerstyle your acoustic ? maybe both ?
I don't know your experience level and don't want to assume anything.

I felt the biggest difference after playing acoustic for a year or so and then getting my first electric was needing to learn how to dampen/mute strings properly (something i hardly ever do an acoustic that is essential to playing an electric cleanly)

To borrow Dagwood's comparison, it's like learning to drive a new type of car/truck....
0-60mph times may be different (ex. Faster, thinner neck), it may be 4WD (ex. multiple, switchable pickups), Clutch may be heavier/lighter (ex. Lighter string gauge) etc...

All these little difference will feel like a totally different machine at first, but if you already know how to drive (ie. Play) and already know the road rules (ie. Chords/Scales/Progressions) you will adapt very quickly and have a great time driving your new machine.

But you just might have to refine your braking (muting) technique and not be so heavy on the gas pedal (softer attack) to get your new instrument to do what you want it to...

Good luck
J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote