Notifications
Clear all

Brand New to guitar

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jigbounce)
Topic starter  

Hello anybody and everybody. Has anyone ever heard of a guitar from ESP the M-10? I'm brand new to guitar and there is a used one at my local shop. Or can anybody recomend a good guitar to start out with. as I don't know how to play so I can't really test them before I buy. Thanks for any help

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

I don't know about ESP guitars, but staff in a guitar store will usually be more than happy to demonstrate guitars for you. Make sure you try the ones you're interested in before you part with any cash, even if you just strum the open strings, just to be sure it's not an awkward shape for you (For example, I wear my guitars low and I can't play big, deep acoustic guitars comfortably - the top edge digs into my ribs).

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN jigbounce.

I'm not familiar with ESP either but I agree with C&S about trying the guitar out for yourself. It needs to feel right for you. Speak to the staff in the shop they should be only to happy to advise. Get them to demonstrate the guitar so you can hear what it sounds like. They may suggest other guitars in your price range. Try them all - you may find some pleasant surprises in amongst the rows of guitars.

I walked into the shop thinking I was going to walk out with a particular model and ended up walking out with something completely different when I bought my first (and currently only) guitar. The one I originally wanted looked great but didn't feel right for me. You are (hopefully) going to be spending a lot of time with your instrument so it needs to feel right for you.

Good luck on buying your new guitar and let us know how you get on.

HTH

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@globetro)
Estimable Member

I know people always suggest that you try out guitars to see which one feels best, even if you're a beginner... but I know when I bought my first guitar not too long ago, I had no clue how to pick a guitar that felt comfortable. They all felt pretty much the same to me!

My advice is that if you're really not sure if you're going to stick with guitar or not, then just get a starter pack. They're real cheap (~$200) and comes with everything you need to get started. I went with an Epiphone SG Starter Pack.

If you're pretty sure you're going to stick with guitar, I would get a MIM Fender Strat. They're only $400, but they're great bang for the buck and they're super versatile. And for an amp, I'd recommend a Roland Micro Cube... very versatile amp, and makes a perfect bedroom practice amp, all for $125.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good thing you're going to a shop. I made the mistake of going to a department store 3 years ago for my first starter pack. I JUST KNEW that it was wrong the minute I tried to do some chords. Sure enough, I was right. A trip to the guitar store fixed that problem in the form of an Ibanez with an easier neck.

Three years later, I STILL despise that starter guitar from the department store.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote