Clear all

Bron yr Aur Stomp

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is it fingerpicked?? I am a far better finger picker than plectrum user but I want to improve my plectrum use. There is only one guitar and it seems for finger picking, its fast but manageable since I am a fairly competent fingerpicker but plectrum picking makes it devilishly fast. If it is plectrum picked I'll keep plugging away. It'll definitely imrpove my ability.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Purple,

Here's a link to a clip on You Tube of Jimmy playing Bron-Y-Aur Stomp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94pPrvK7438&search=bron%20y%20aur%20stomp

Looks like he uses a pick.

Bron-Yr-Aur is fingerpicked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYol79fwAzY&mode=related&search=bron%20yr%20aur

Hope that helps. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Dan for the video! When in doubt just watch the master do it. My Page what long spider fingers you have. It's the Stomp I am looking for, I mispelled Bron Y Aur. Hmm... however, that video is somewhat inconclusive to me. There are parts where he seems to be plucking the strings with his pointer, middle, and ring finger - which means he can't be holding a pick but then that skips to a part where you can just about see the pick. Even in the very beginning he seems to be using a pcik and plucking with ihs middle and ring. Possibly has a thumb pick on to give the crisp notes and strumming and to be able to switch between the two types of strumming. Did Pgae ever use a thumb pick?? I think I am gonna keep plugging away with just the plectrum, today it didn't seem quite as insurmountable.

In another related topic on this site of online guitar tabs, he plays that completely different from the tab I have and I paid for that tab! It is in a book of Zep songs that I bought. This isn't the first hiccup I had with store bought tab. I don't know if it is played that way for performance purposes only so he doesn't have to retune. It certainly is in a lower key than the recorded version. Very distressing.... I'll have to go look at some on-line tab and listen to the song some more - test them both, see what I like better. Anybody else play this song and have any recommendations on how I should play it? I'm currently capoed at the third fret and tuned to DADF#AD.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

There are parts where he seems to be plucking the strings with his pointer, middle, and ring finger - which means he can't be holding a pick but then that skips to a part where you can just about see the pick. Even in the very beginning he seems to be using a pcik and plucking with ihs middle and ring.

He may be doing both. I can't do it, but I've watched some friends and what they do is to kind of "fold" the pick up into the first joint (between the knuckle and the beginning of the palm) and hold it there while they fingerpick. Then, when the pick is needed again they "unfold" it back between thumb and forefinger.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Tucking the pick away - Yikes, I tried it, don't think I'll be able to finger pick efficiently while hiding the pick, let alone keep it from dropping. If the full on plectrum doesn't work out, I might use a thumb pick. When switching to strumming with it, I hold it just as if it were a real pick. The thumb pick gives much crisper bass notes than straight fingerpicking. Thanks for all the help/input!

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Could be hybrid picking too: where you use your forefinger and thumb to work the pick leaving your other three fingers free to fingerpick the higher strings at the same time.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote