Notifications
Clear all

can a beginner tune a guitar by ear

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It may be possible that you can't get a tuner right now. Do so when you can.
For now go to a search engine such as Google and type in Online Guitar Tuner.
There are a number of them.
They will have, usually , a clickable reference pitch for each string.
Just adjust each string to get as close a match as you can.

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thank you for that i will do that jim it was really helpful thankyou.

thankyou every1 :D

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

easier than that, just go to the freebies section like I mentioned before and you can download a bunch from there.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Every 6 months, no that isn't right at all. Maybe they meant change strings every 6 months. Even that is pushing it (Every 3 months would probably be better for someone who doesnt play much)

I'd get one of the computer tuners. AP Guitar tuner is great, its the only one I use.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thank you again i'm already learning so much. i thought foolishly again you only change strings when they go rusty which is years silly me. thank you to those who replyed.

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member

I'm new at playing guitar, too, but I have a little bit of advice that I wish I had followed. I say it is best to make the investment early and get a GOOD tuner. I bought one that only had E,A,D,G,B,E (standard tuning) but I can only tune to open G, because I don't have the ears to tune it relatively for the other open tunings, which include notes not on a standard tuner. Pay a little more now and get a good tuner, and you won't regret it later.

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

Hmm - when I started I had a tuning fork and I could not tune the guitar.

My ear must be so bad - in the end I used a trick, which I know is cheating, I used relative tuning and looked at the two strings I was matching to see if the one I was not playing was vibrating..

So to tune the low E string relative to the A string fret the E at the 5th fret and play the string, when you can see the A string vibrate without being touched, then it is in tune relative to the E.

Now I have an electric tuner and it is simple, but my ear is also develoiing the ability to detect when a string is in tune. For me it just takes time --- lots of time..

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeh i have one of those tuning fork i think. is it when you blow into it are those affective.do they workgood. its plastic.

thanks again :) everyone

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

that's a pitch pipe.

but that will work in a pinch

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2