Clear all

Can I Really Do It By Myself?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@kalishea)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been "playing" for about 3 weeks now.. mostly using the lessons off this board. I don't know anyone that can help me... so my question is can I really learn by myself? I have thought about getting either a book, cd-rom or even a teacher, but I don't know..
Any suggestions or maybe your own experiences?
Thanks,
kalishea

(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I spent a year on my own learning what I could by myself, and just recently started lessons. I got to a point where I was playing the same things over and over, and not that well, and not that much progress.

There's a lot of chords you can learn from books, a lot songs and lessons you can find on the net. I think what I learned on my own has helped me with my lessons because I didnt have to start from scratch. But I think eventually it will be good to take lessons if you can, it will probably speed up your learning.

Some say a least a few lessons for a complete beginner is good to help set your foundation, good posture, making sure you hold the guitar correct, that sort of stuff. I think that is probably good advice.

If you have the means give lessons a shot and see what you think, thats my two cents.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Can you really learn by yourself? To figure that out, you really need to analyze your own learning style.

Being honest, how self-motivated are you? How focused?

I know that for the first approx. 3 months I played I was totally alone, just learning note names and open chord shapes online, and strumming simple songs. I think I learned a lot, and was more comfortable exploring when I did start hanging out with fellow guitar players.

All that to say... if you have a teacher available, utilize your opportunity. If the cost and time are not an immediate issue, and you want to accelerate your learning, hunt down a good teacher!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I'd agree with those opinions above. You can learn an awful lot on your own but you have to be motivated to keep at it. Some folks find this easier than others. It's a lot easier to not practice and eventually just let it go if you don't have a teacher. Also there is a problem with information overload. There is almost too much information online and sorting through it without getting overwhelmed is a problem. Keep reading the beginners forums and find out what others are thinking about and having problems with and don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are too simple. Good luck. :D

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

You can do anything you want, if you really want to, and have the discipline to do it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@crossfire)

I learned a lot of stuff, like chords and notes, myself but taking lessons has helped me learn how to use them. And I have picked up a lot of stuff by hanging around the guitar shop where I take lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@martha)
Eminent Member

Just think about your great-grandparents' generation.

They didn't have things like the Internet to look up information, or phones to call people asking for help. Music tutors were for the rich and well-born...

And yet, people managed to teach themselves to play any and every instrument.

So it's perfectly possible to learn an instrument by yourself. However, it requires an effort that in our day-and-age of instant gratification many people are unwilling to put in.

(Many people will rather copy a chord off a website than spend a couple of minutes figuring it out themselves through chord theory and scales, and mapping it out in the fretboard.)

Thus, your willingness to work is a big part of the success of your solo study.

Technique and form are also a consideration. How important are they to you? They're something only a teacher can impart on you.

For an extreme example, look at Jeff Healey. He taught himself to play the guitar when he was a toddler, and plays the hell out of the strings - but he missed the detail that you're supposed to hold the guitar, not lay it flat on your lap.

But he doesn't mind, because what he's focusing on is his sound, and he's getting the "voice" he wants using his unique style.

But if his objective were playing in international Classical Competitions, he would probably have to work with a teacher to develop a "traditional" guitar technique .

So where you want to go with your guitar-playing influences your path.

Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Its no different to saying "can i really teach myself to play golf?". Or whatever else in life needs skill and dedication.

Yes you can. If you want to enough. A teacher will, however, make you concentrate on specific things that SHOULD make you a better player.

I haven't had one lesson. I am by no means the next Jimi, but I am very much where i wanted to be, can fingerpick, play songs all the way through.

I think it depends on your goals.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Just think about your great-grandparents' generation.

They didn't have things like the Internet to look up information, or phones to call people asking for help. Music tutors were for the rich and well-born...

And yet, people managed to teach themselves to play any and every instrument.

So it's perfectly possible to learn an instrument by yourself. However, it requires an effort that in our day-and-age of instant gratification many people are unwilling to put in.

(Many people will rather copy a chord off a website than spend a couple of minutes figuring it out themselves through chord theory and scales, and mapping it out in the fretboard.)

Thus, your willingness to work is a big part of the success of your solo study.

Technique and form are also a consideration. How important are they to you? They're something only a teacher can impart on you.

For an extreme example, look at Jeff Healey. He taught himself to play the guitar when he was a toddler, and plays the hell out of the strings - but he missed the detail that you're supposed to hold the guitar, not lay it flat on your lap.

But he doesn't mind, because what he's focusing on is his sound, and he's getting the "voice" he wants using his unique style.

But if his objective were playing in international Classical Competitions, he would probably have to work with a teacher to develop a "traditional" guitar technique .

So where you want to go with your guitar-playing influences your path.

Hear here.

Great post. :)

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

I learned on my own. But that doesn't mean I starting to strum the strings and decided this sound would be Gmajor.

I relied on many things (TV, Internet, Books)
But the most significant medium that I learned from was television.

When I first started I would watch tv and look for anyone who was playing guitar. I was fortunate that one week was unplugged week on my cable channel. I ended up watching, Clapton, Beegees, and Eagles all unplugged that week. And boy was that a fun learnign experience.
Just the amount of technique that I was witnessing was overwhelming. It all seemed so easy for them to play. I was in awe.

After that week I dedicated my self to just learn 1/10th of what I saw.

That definately helped with my progress, but it really lies within self motivation. I tried reading liabrary books on playing guitar but I quickly got bored. I found that my learning strength is not from reading but from watching.

BTW I've been playing for 3 years now and never had a teacher.

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

Obviously having a teacher, to show in person is easier, than learning by yourself. It get you direction, and an in person, example, on how to do things corecrtly.

But, yes, you can learn on your own. I've never had a teacher. Had , a lot of friends who played, and I learned from them thru, my teenage years.

But my theory is still lacking. Just have fun with it.

ReplyQuote
(@kalishea)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the input! I understand the issue here, and I am self motivated, I just don't want to learn something and think that it is right, have no one or nothing to tell me its wrong and have it be wrong! :x Make sense? I am going to get a book soon and see where that takes me.. I am doing ok learning the basics, like chords, tabs and some easy songs, but I honestly don't know where that will take me without getting confused later. I just heard of a lady that charges $5 for an hour lesson!!! I hate to say it, but I'm not sure if I want to do it because she is very church music style and that's not what I want to learn! Except maybe she can teach the basics. I don't know, I will have to think about it...
Anyway, thanks again!

ReplyQuote