Can my electric sound more acustic?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@riverwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello all and thanks in advance for any replies,

I have a Fender "Squier" Affinity Strat HSS package that includes the Fender G-DEC Junior Amp. This combo package was advised to me on another different forum. The reason being that my severe arthritis in both shoulders prevents me from holding and playing my acustic guitar which is a beautiful Martin "Sigma" from the 1980's.
So, while I love the looks and feel and quality of my new electric, I miss the acustic sound.
I am mostly a beginner and can pay all the basic open chords but my lack of any rhythm prevents song playing at this time, but that is another story. I love to pick single note melodies and slow pick and strumming and have no desire to ever play "hard rock". Again, the electric was purchased by need not desire. :)
So my question to all you guitar gods is this - what will give me more of a clean acustic sound out of my amp?
Or do I need a new amp?
Or did I buy the wrong guitar? if so, too late now!
I saw via google something about a pedal or something that could go between my guiar and amp?
Also 2 months later and I still have original strings, are better ones available?
Sorry if you don't like long posts, but I wanted to share all my concers.
Thanks again,
Lee

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK.. a two part one here...

As for getting it to sound more like a acoustic.. Well the easest way is to get a multi effect pedal that has a acuostic setting. I have a cheper Zoom one that has it. Its not great.... but does sound like a acoustic... You could also have a prezo pickup added to your guitar. Not sure the best way to do that on a strat, but im sure you can.

As far as "did I buy the wrong guitar?" Well... maybe. Is it the thickness of the body thats the problem, or the overall size of the acoustic thats the problem? They make many sizes of acoustic guitars, and some have a quite small body. Also some of the ones made to be pluged in are quite thin. Also a lot of the older arch top guitars are thinner also. As a last idea... the semi hollow, or hollow electrics can have a louder almost acoustic sound when not plugged in. They have a larger bbody, but are quite thin.

I recomend going out and hitting up a lot of diferent guitar shops, and just trying a lot out. See how they feel, and sound, and maybe you can find one you can live with. Till you can fine the right one, pickup a cheap pedal with a acoustic setting to get you through.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@riverwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, and yes, the pedal was what I was wondering about. The local "Guitar Center" store has a great black friday sale this week. My acustic is too big and also too thick. The new electric is so much more comfortable. Another new, even used guitar is not in the budget at least for awhile. Interestingly at least to me, the amp has an acustic setting, but this only seems to kill all the volume.
I have googled this question and most hits only try to show how stupid I am for asking and advise me to buy an acustic guitar.
Again, my objective here is for only in my own livingroom playing solo to myself or friends/family.
Thanks.
Lee

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I would think the pedal would be your best bet then. Ill have to let others give examples of what one is best. I have a setting in some old ZOOM multi effect pedal, and it sounds..... well not terrable. Kinda sounds like a acoustice guitar plugged in using a entry level pickup... not great... but its passable. I sure wouldnt do a show with it... but playing around at home it works.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I have a Digitech RP355 pedal that has a lot of great effects on it, including a couple of very good acoustic emulations.

The thing I noticed is that for the best acoustic sound, the guitar should be set on the middle or bridge pickup with the tone knob set high. The acoustic emulation tends to sound a little muddy on the neck pup.

I've tried this with two guitars. My partner's Zoom pedal has a decent acoustic emulation, and again, middle or bridge pickup with full treble is best.

But then this could have a lot to do with amp settings, so if you get a pedal, by all means experiment.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

Interestingly at least to me, the amp has an acustic setting, but this only seems to kill all the volume.
Thanks.
Lee

I have a G-Dec Jr also and found the same results on the acoustic setting. I get a much better acoustic sound out of my old Digitec RP-80 pedal.

On the subject of playing with ailments I have wondered if playing with guitar oriented the way that I play would benifit someone with Arthritis, Carpel Tunnel or an injury. I have noticed that my hand and wrist is in a very relaxed position when I play. My right shoulder gets a workout but that wouldn't be the case for someone with two arms. Look at some Jeff Healey videos. Does require rewiring your brain and muscle to a new playing style though.

Best of luck to you.

Jack

ReplyQuote