can you bring a guitar on airflight

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hello, to fellow guitar players that travel

does anyone know if i can use my guitar as a carry-on item? cuz if not, i'll have to get a better(more expensive) case and ship it as luggage

thank you

(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

i have flowen (is that a word) with mine a few times and they alaways make me check it... get a good case!! it's worth it..

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I have had the same exeriences as Tim. I have heard of others carrying their guitar onboard but I have never been allowed.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I'll be going to Costa Rica in Jamuary to visit my sister for a month, and i HAVE to bring my guitar. I'm going to call the airport or delta or whoever and find out!!

:):)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Check with your airline about their policy on musical instruments - that might make the decision for you.

My main Classical in its case will just about fit into an overhead locker, but it's travelled in the hold before too.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Like Alan says, ring the airline and find out what their policy is. Some will let you take it on board, some will demand that you check it into hold luggage and others will allow "Deposit at Aircraft" - which means that you take it as hand luggage as far as the plane, then hand it over to go into the hold (it won't be thrown around or banged like normal hold luggage). At your destination, you pick it up from the bottom of the aircraft stairs and treat it as hand luggage again.
If you get some sort of "That will depend on how full the flight is, Sirrrrrrr" answer, assume that it's going as checked luggage.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

My experience is that they let me bring my tele with me and put it in the "overhead lockers" since I didn't have a rigid bag. In case you have a bag or an acoustic guitar I think they will "take care" of it.
Have you ever thougth about the silent guitars by yamaha?

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I just take it to the gate, and let them decide there. If it is a small plane, you'll have to check it. The bigger ones seem to let you carry it on.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Calling ahead doesn't do you much good because the crew has final say. Call ahead and check though and see if the plane has a coat closet.

I've also had luck by taking a pull on bag with me to carry on, with the intent I'll check it at the gate as a compromise and carry the guitar on.

I've flown the same airline twice and had it stowed once and carried the next.

Get your self a good case.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Calling ahead doesn't do you much good because the crew has final say.
That's true (in fact, it's the captain who has the absolute final say), but only WITHIN the policy guidelines - if policy says "no carry-on musical instruments", the crew is not going to allow you to take one on. If you call and ask about policy, you at least know the ground rules and can adapt ahead of time.
If you call ahead, you can also ask how full the flight is - on a full flight, things that might otherwise have been allowed, are suddenly not allowed. Many passenger aircraft also carry freight. It is not uncommon for airlines to deboard passengers and fly with empty seats, rather than remove cargo.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yes, of course. Sorry, what I should have said was calling ahead may tell you an airlines policy but it doesn't mean much at the gate. Finding out general policy, capacity etc is a good idea.

Some airlines have removed the coat closet so they can put in an extra row of seats.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I have a rectangular electric aguitar case, willl that fit in the overhead? I've never flown before.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Some packing advise, loosen all the strings, fill the void around the head stock with bubble wrap or news print. I've flown with mine several times, sometimes they let you carry it on sometimes they don't. It's best to be prepared to check it at the terminal. The last time I flew I had to check mine with the rest of my luggage. I lost a couple of feet off the case but the guitar was fine. The best thing would be to buy an airline approved case, I'd still loosen the strings.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i called up continental and i can only carry it on if the size is 51 linear inches in total (adding up all the dimensions)

so there's my answer, thx to all for the help!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I did some travelling last week and I never saw so many people in the airport with instruments, mostly guitars but one guy had an upright bass he was carrying around...needless to say I didn't see anyone get on a plane with one and when I was checking in they were making some guy check his guitar and he didn't have a hardcase...he was asking for trouble.

I just bought a new suitcase and they banged that up pretty good.

I would not even attempt to travel unless it was in a hardcase.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2