Clear all

Rock/Metal Techniques

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm kinda lost on what to learn. I've done barre chords, but the music I play doesn't demand those chords much, so I haven't played a barre chord since I first learn them. So now I'm looking for some skills/chords that my music demands. So does anyone know a site that teaches that kind of stuff? Skills/chords/scales for rock and metal?

(@Anonymous)

Here is some hard rock techniques you can try at Peter Vogl's site. He has videos for most of his lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Practice finger excerises and damping/muting. They happen to very important to learn, let along master. You'll really be surprised on how much easier and better you'll become from this.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Practice finger excerises and damping/muting. They happen to very important to learn, let along master. You'll really be surprised on how much easier and better you'll become from this.

Joe

If you have powertab here is Steve Vai's 10 hour guitar workout

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I checked out Peter Vogl's site. Pretty cool. I don't understand the written stuff at all, but the videos are really good. I don't understand how me makes licks from scales but watching him do various techniques on the videos is really helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

After you've been playing for awhile it will all come together.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Rock can be easy just give time .....and yes , palm muting , left hand muting , string skipping , playing arpeggios .....these are some techniques which can take you a long way..

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

work on muting, with chords and rythm...

if you playing with distortion this is a must.

good luck, and have fun!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I can already do palm muting, left hand muting, I have pretty good rhythm. I know some chords too, but they don't get used much. And what is string skipping?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

And what is string skipping?

When you are picking a string you don't go in order...meaning if I pick a note on the 1st string I then jump to the 4th string then back down to the 2nd etc.

If you look at the tab I posted of the Steve Vai 10 hour workout it has some drills for this.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Like Joe Said,

Finger Excerises very important.

-- I'm not a theory guy so if im talkin about stuff that has somekinda term sorry --

Practice your major/ minor scales, when you fingers become more flexible everything becomes easier ( including chords and chord changes )

number your fingers index finger (1) Middle (2) Ringfinger (3) Pinky (4)

Practice: finger 1 first fret top E, finger 2 second fret A string, finger 3 3rd fret D string, finger 4 4th fret G String.

Practice this all the way up and down the neck. While watching tv whatever have your guitar unplugged just repeating these excersises.

Chords are also important whether you play metal or not - i play mostly metal too but but strumming a nice tune is very cool too.

Common chords G C D E A Dm Em Am There's many other but like i said i'm not big on theory.

Just get those down have you guitar unplugged and just practice strumming and switching these chords.

Try and make things as easy as possible. When i started i was learning the intro to Enter Sandman simple i know but i only used my first 3 fingers back then - it complicates things i would miss the notes, mute when i should'nt it was a mess.

Play around with different tunings aswell it keeps things fun.
This friend of mine he only plays in standard tuning - how boring is that.

Hope that ramble helped

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

OWA,
You might want to check out Doug Mark's site: http://www.metalmethod.com/
I used his lessons, (back in the day :shock: ), when I was into metal, and they were very good. Looks like he has some good stuff that you could use for hard rock/metal.
Also, here is a great free vid lesson on "sweep picking", that should keep you busy for awhile! :wink: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_sweep_picking.html
Hope that helps.
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

"Tapping" is a really good technique for metal. Think "One" by Metallica, it has a great tab solo. As does "Domination" by Pantera. Its great once you get the hang of it, you can shred some faces with it also.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote