Clear all

Can you feel it yet?

17 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

In everything I do, I get a feeling for what it is. Baseball, motorcycling, cooking, etc. That's when you know you are getting good at something. The feel.

I discovered that tonight....finally. I didn't feel like I was playing some chords. I felt like I was adding emotion, style,taste, mood, etc into my "playing" tonight. It was quite a time. I look forward to many more like this.

Good Times

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

It will become more and more frequent if you allow inner self to surface. You'll be playing with all your heart and soul.

It will show in your playing.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

BooYa! good for you.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great to hear. :D Congrats.

There seem to be quite a few stages of "feel" - the "finger feel" when you suddenly realise that although your fingers seem to be going to the same places, the strings aren't buzzing any more, and the notes are sounding clean at last...

And the "rhythm feel" when you just start to slip into the groove and the timing just sounds "right" for a change...

And of course the "real deal feel" you're talking about when you finally get a flash of feeling a little bit like a musician instead of some dork with ten thumbs and a bunch of uncomfortable strings.

Wonderful moment Rparker - I have cracked a bottle of stout in celebration of your milestone. 8)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Just wait until you get onstage with a bunch of musicians and something just clicks.

I can still name the songs.

2005 Elkhart Indiana at the Green Room - Ophelia, I'll be around
2004 at the "Berkshire Blues Club", The Thrill is gone
2003 Chicago - Jump, Jive and Wail

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that's great to hear. when it comes together like that it doesnt get better.
I love it when I lose myself in my playing. Im there fully awre yet in some zone.

when I come out of it I get the feeling...where was I just now?..it's great.

I have been playing steel slide for not too long.at first it felt uncomfortable.
now whenever I grab my weighty chrome slide and sit behind my steel it feels so good.

kind of like driving some one else's car then getting back into your own. definately a feeling.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations,
It does feel great when you get in a groove, almost an out of body experience.
Haven't had many myself but the few that I have had makes all the hard work worth while.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nick said,

Oh yeah Nick, that was a great jam that night. I think I sat that song out. But that was awesome, hope to do it again. Does anybody have pics? I never got those.

rparker

Yeah, the feeling is it. You don't really think about the music, you become part of it. It can be hypnotic and mesmerizing. Music becomes easy. It's all about relaxing and going with the groove. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I never really realized it until reading this post but just recently I feel like I have hit that stage too. Like I dont have to work so hard at guitar for it to be enjoyable. Thanks for making the inital post. Really makes me appreciate that IT feeling.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm at that point too. When I'm playing just for the sake of playing I sort of throw myself into it. Getting to this stage is most of the battle for me. Now to add a few more skills and some speed and accuracy and I'll be where I want to be.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I must confess that I was a bit worried that I hadn't felt it yet. Sure, I'm having fun learning and have a long way to go. That's a pretty good thing on it's own. However, I was worried that I would not get that feeling that so many guitar players feel and try to describe.

The worry is over.

I still stink on ice, but that only adds to the enjoyment. Sounds weird, but true. Learning is fun.

Nils will back me up on this one. There's a biker saying that goes something like "It's the journey, not the destination."

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Nick said,

Oh yeah Nick, that was a great jam that night. I think I sat that song out. But that was awesome, hope to do it again. Does anybody have pics? I never got those.

Wes - somewhere in some stack here I've got a disc of photos that John, Kathy's husband, took over the course of the weekend. Pics from the Friday night "rehearsal," Saturday's show at the Berkshire Blues Club and also from Sunday's little jam here at the house. If I find it, I'll get one of my students to make a copy and I'll send it along to you. PM your address to me.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Learning is fun.

Nils will back me up on this one. There's a biker saying that goes something like "It's the journey, not the destination."

Too right. 8)

There's been a few versions of that same idea.

Robert Louis Stevenson (the Treasure Island guy) writing in the 1800s said:

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour"

Other versions of similar thoughts:

"Getting there isn't half the fun - it's all the fun."

"Nothing is sadder than finally getting there and discovering that there is nowhere else left to go."

"To stop learning is to start dying"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I'm slowly beginning to feel it. I compare it to learning to type on the keyboard though.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2