Capo

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Probably a very simple question. Where does the capo go? Between two frets, in the middle,

or near, almost over the higher fret

?

I've read the

method is better than the

one but I see both methods are used even by professional guitarists.

Thanks! :D

(@alangreen)

It goes between the frets, and towards the higher fret gives a better and more secure sound.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan! :D

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I try to put it closer to the higher fret.

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Higher pitched, like towards the 5th fret or higher on the neck like towards the 4th fret?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If I see instructions on a tab to capo at the fifth fret, I'll put it on half-way between the fourth and fifth frets. Those with bigger fingers might want to move it further towards the fourth fret.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Those two pictures are different capos and different guitars and no doubt, different frets, which I'm sure will always make a difference regarding where the capo will be best placed. The bottom line is, put it where it will depress all strings equally without any buzz, but also make sure you have room for your fingers to play.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I tend to place the capo in the middle of the two frets - this way, I have space to put my larger-than-average-man fingers if an awkward fingering comes up :lol:

As long as all the strings ring out clearly, don't worry too much about where the capo is; just that it's working.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I find that if I put it close to the fret wire (as in the right hand photo) then it tends to get in the way too much when I play. It also seems to pull the strings out of tune more - although that might just be my perception rather than fact.

So I always put the capo either in the centre, or even closer to the nut. I don't seem to have any problem keeping the strings properly fretted with the capo well away from the 'active' fret, and it gives me more room. It seems to me that it's more important to get the capo seated level and accurately on the neck, without pulling to one side or the other when you apply the tension. If you get that right, the exact left/right position seems less important. That's what works for me, but I'd go with whatever works for you. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote