Clear all

Capo & Storing the guitar...

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jameslucier)
Topic starter  

Really basic stuff here ...
I got a guitar for my 57th birthday. :shock: It's beautiful. Acoustic style (steel stings), made by Epiphone (Dove model). I hope I can do it justice and learn some pretty sounds. Actually, I would like it to become a pastime for my retirement - I only have 9 years to prepare!

1. Wall mount
I bought a nice little holder which mounts on the wall so the guitar can hang there - Reviewing some lessons on the site, I notice a suggestion to keep it in the case instead. Is this a big deal?
2. Capo
Is ther a good brand of CAPO to purchase? How is it used? Does one set it and just use the music as if the CAPO was now the nut?
:oops: Sorry if this is too basic. :oops:
-James

Still trying to make this thing sing for me...

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Wall mount is fine. I keep mine in a case to stop the young whippersnappers from knocking it over. If you have central heat, or forced air and dry winters, you may want to keep it in a case with a humidfier.

Yes, a capo works as a substitute nut. Kyser is a pretty good brand. Check for one that has adjustable tension, the one tension only capos tend to pull the guitars intonation out of whack.

ReplyQuote
(@jameslucier)
Topic starter  

Humidity here gets to about 13% at times - we have forced air heating. I have been humidifying the house with a Sears humidifier, which brings it up to about 50% ( according to a cheap humidity guage) to help out our parrots... will that do?

I thought the wood was supposed to be as dry as possible..?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Arghhh, no, not dry. 50% should be fine for the winter.

Don't store them too close to the heat source.

ReplyQuote
(@uberlc)

9 years is plenty to get good at the guitar :)

I'm sure in 5 years you'll be pretty good

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I'm only 15 and already lookin forward to retirment. Bein able to play guitar any time you want...woah

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

As far as capos are concerned, Shubb is also a good brand - good design, not very expensive and they really work. Never buy one of these cheap capos with a black strap : they don't work at all.

I'm also a fiftysomething beginner. Welcome to the Club! This site is an fantastic place for advice, information & encouragement.

We all are going to have a great time for our retirement!

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

James

"Sorry if this is too basic".

Never utter them words again on here mate, nothing's too basic - everything is a mystery to everyone, until they know the answer.

In other words, don't be afraid to ask. There are so many different levels of players on here, you will ALWAYS get a sensible answer.

Very best of luck. From a frequent capo user with guitars on the wall...!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I actually prefer shubb capos.

You may want to look at the "third hand" capo, which is really cool for creating alternate tunings on the fly.

ReplyQuote
(@jameslucier)
Topic starter  

Thanks Nick et al for the responses!

I'm sure to have more questions. For now I'm beginning by studying the beginner's lessons on the site. They are very clear and well written!

C Major 3rd... OK, I think I get it - no, how can THAT other thing be a minor 3rd when the one next to it is a major 3rd? :?
(Can I skip the minors and go straight to the majors? :roll:)

I'll make sure I send in the occasional donation to the site - these are valuable insights and the site is well worth supporting! Is it better to donate to the site, per se, or to the lessons as taken? Are these two different 'pots'?

ReplyQuote