Clear all

Changing strings

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jarle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have had my accoustic guitar for about a year now, and in that time it has had a complete overhaul in the store I bought it from exactly once. Apart from that, I have only changed strings when one of them broke, but only the bass strings have ever broken/snapped.

The last time I changed strings was sometime in June. Now, I know that it is recommended to change all the strings if one breaks, but since they saw and sounded just fine, I went with "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" (seeing how crappy my knots were in comparison to the ones on the treble strings fitted in the store also was a factor :roll: ). So now I am left with a complete lack of experience in changing treble strings. :o

Now that I have got my (first) electric guitar, I realise how crappy the accoustic sound with those old strings, so I am increasingly eager to change them. But I am still concerned about messing up or not managing and being left with a totally unplayable instrument, so I am wondering...

Is the strings harder to change than bass strings? I mean, they seem to have quite a bit more tension, I imagine that makes it harder. Do I need any extra equpiment (like pliers) or will my hands suffice, as with the bass strings? :?

(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

After your second or third time changing strings, it gets easy. Check the link below for really easy directions. The only tool you might want is a wire cutter.

When I began someone suggested to me not to use expensive strings the first time (something like elixers). If you mess one up you wont be as mad if it was a $5 set.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=300

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I read that article (it is in fact saved on my harddrive like many other excellent GN articles :) ), I just wanted to know if there are any big differences between stringing bass and treble strings (except the way they are fastened, of course) before I start.

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

The only difference for me was I have to be a little more cautious while tuning the treble strings. When I first started changing strings, I broke several treble strings just trying to get them in tune. I think I was just tightening them way to fast.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Yeah, other than the treble strings being more prone to breaking there isn't really any difference in changing them.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The best guide for changing acoustic strings is at FRETS.COM's restringling clinic.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I always make sure I have 2 packs of strings when I change them. That way, when i break one, I have a replacement handy. Actually, I like trying different strings, so I usually have a half dozen different packs around, but for my main axe I'll get 2 identical packs. After a while you can collect a few individual strings, from packs you had to open for replacements, that will serve as emergency backups.

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Another question, I just found out that I had an unopeend spare pack that I didn't know about, but it's quite old. Is the quality degraded on old strings even when unopened, or could I just as well use them and save the shiny new ones for later?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I buy strings in bulk and never had a problem with the older ones. Some could be 6 months to a year old before I get to use them. I also don't pay much attention to which ones are the oldest when I get a set out of the box.

IMHO it is not the age that hurts them but the stretching, the use, oily hands and other contaminates

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

After much reading, watching, hearing and experimentation, I still don't understand how to properly tie up the string in the tuning-peg end... :oops:

I have read everything I have found here and other places (included the links posted in this thread), but even the pictures and descriptions didn't do it. I still don't get it. :?

So, if someone would be so kind as to post/create a "stringing for dummies" (good pictures/drawings) are a great plus! )guide, it would be greatly appreciated . :o

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anyone? :?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Jarle,
If you're using roundwound strings you don't need to worry about tying them. Just wind the peg and keep the string from slipping off the peg as you wind. It will secure itself.

You might consider taking it to the local shop and have them show you how to restring it. They'll charge you for restringing, but it should cost under $10 US.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am sorry, but what do you mean with "roundwound"?

(The strings that were put on by the shop seem to be secured in some way, but I can't figure out exactly how, 't was a bit hard to reverse-engineer, but I guess I should do something similar, I just don't know how/what :? )

ReplyQuote
(@jazzmanbr)
Eminent Member

I had a similar experience myself. Changed strings for the first time anddidnt kno my own strength.
I printed off the article with the string changing pictures and I have them right handy when I do it. What I've learned from here is to thread the string thru and according to the instructions loop it right or left depending upon the peg so the string binds on itself when it tightens.
I have a big 3 ring binder I stole from work and I 3 hole punch everything guitar related to put in there -- stringing, tuning, tabs, scales, etc. Like I said I had to print off the pages for stringing so when I'm ready I just lay the "Bible" in front of me and I take my time.
My amateur understanding is that the lower strings are round-wound due to the fact that there is a string wrapped around another string.
I also learned here that if I'm going to replace one string I'm going to replace all 6. I use Ernie Ball regulars and they're only a little over 5 bucks a pack.

Thanks all and Happy New Year!
Bert

To Do Is To Be -- Socrates
To Be Is To Do -- Plato
Do Be Do Be Do -- Sinatra

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a big 3 ring binder I stole from work and I 3 hole punch everything guitar related to put in there

I do the same. :)
I have the GNs article on paper, but I found it inadequate in both pictures and explanation.

Anyway, what do you mean with "a string wrapped around another string"? With the "lower strings" you mean the bass strings right? I can't see any difference between the way they and the others are stringed? :?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2