Clear all

guitar doesn't sound right

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@xtremesheep)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i got an acoustic guitar about 6 months ago. it was cheap, but all i could afford. it was like $150. so not the best guitar. but it sounded pretty good when i bought it. but like a month ago i noticed something is wrong with it. and i have no idea what happened. but when i play the e, B, and G strings, it make the A and E strings ring. it sounds really bad. i'm not sure what the problem is, can it be fixed? any one know what could have happened?

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Mine does this too, it's in the same price range. It's not really noticeable, but it somtimes throws my tuner off. It's not really bothersome, but if anyone has a cure I'ed like to hear it.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I'm guessing it's something that can be fixed.

With the winter months the heat has really dried the air in my home, could this possibly be affecting it, maybe a truss rod adjustment.

Have you changed strings, guage, ect..

Take it to a tech or the shop you purcahsed it from, unless its been damaged you should be able to get that original sound back.

Best of luck

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

It's called something like sympathetic vibration, I think. Are the strings old and were they fine when they were fresher? I ask because old strings can often ring with some odd harmonics (I seem to get this on the G-string first and most prominantly) and if you're getting harmonics in the E and A frequencies, this would get those strings going.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The cure is learning to mute strings you don't want to ring. It's always going to happen otherwise. B is the third (fifth harmonic) of G. The e is an octave (second harmonic) of E. The e is the fifth (third harmonic) of A. Doesn't matter what the price range of your guitar is, you're going to produce sympathetic harmonics in those other strings. If you didn't hear them before, either you weren't noticing them or you didn't have the guitar tuned very accurately. If the tuning's off a bit the harmonic frequencies won't coincide. Beginners often tune up each string in series and don't go back to check again. As you tune up each new string, it affects the tension and tuning of all the other strings, so the strings you tuned first now aren't quite in tune. Takes several passes to get it all right.

Also, if you tune to equal temperament with an electronic tuner you won't notice this as much as when you tune the strings to each other by fretted notes or harmonics. Equal temperament puts all the tuning intervals slightly off of their natural values so it doesn't sound too badly out of tune but won't sound any worse when playing in any key. If you don't use a tuner but tune to zero beat frequencies, you'll get more harmonic interaction (and will be off when playing in certain keys.)

I'm a big fan of open tunings. Doesn't much matter if you get strings ringing that you didn't mean to play, because they're all tuned together to a nice chord. (Don't want to overdo it, still.) In standard tuning you've really got to work on your muting all the time.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote