Notifications
Clear all

Cheaper Fooytswitch?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mattstats09)
Topic starter  

I Recently bought a Roland GA-212 and of course the damn footswitch that switches between the 4 channels is SOLD SEPERATELY. For a hefty price I might add.
It's a standard 1/4 input jack for the switch but am looking to see if anyone knows anything that will switch between at least 2 channels for a fair price? $50 or less I found the standard one that is supposed to be used for $119. ouch.

Please help
And good to meet everyone
Matty

(@peterpan)

I do custom electronics for musicians, and I'd be happy to help you "roll your own", including where to get parts. The trick of course is to first figure out exactly what the switch is supposed to do. Since its a standard 1/4" jack, it is likely for a stereo jack or TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) type. You might start by getting a cheap stereo plug like this, and some alligator clip leads, and experiment by seeing what channels or actions occur from shorting various contacts. Often, simple diodes are employed to allow just a few contacts to simulate more conditions, so consider playing with a few of those too. As you have success, draw what you're finding so you don't forget.

Of course it is possible that the "switch" really is a complex circuit, in which two of the connections on the TRS are for power, and the third is used for a signal. In that case, there is always a resitor built in to the circuit to prevent shorts, so the above experimentation will be harmless, even if it doesn't do anything for you. In such a case, there is likely a small microprocessor in the stock footswitch, which is a possible reason for the higher cost (even then it is exorbitant!) . Such things can be reverse engineered and built too, but of course its much more difficult. It is a major disappointment that in cases like this, where actual microprocessors and data signals are employed in footswitches, that manufacturers refuse to use standard MIDI interfaces, and publish their codes. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

ReplyQuote