Clear all

Chord Changes

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have a question. I've been learning some chords lately, as opposed to the power chords I normally play and can change between them fast enough but......well when I listen to a recording of myself the chord changes seem too fast, or sudden or jerky. There is no interuption in sound or anything but I am wondering, is it possible to change chords too fast? How do you change smoothly?

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

going to have to say it, but practice, and yes you can change to fast making a pull off effect or catching other strings. Don't be afraid to play an open strum in between, your ears won't notice if you play the chord on the next strum. 'Twist and Shout' is a good example on the change from D to G

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Unless you have to take all your fingers off the strings to make a change, don't. Try to keep one fnger on a common note during a change to make it sound smoother.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

The best way really, is to take 2 chords and start out slow. strum all down 4 times like this //// then go to your next chord but go slow. then try a basic up and down pattern strum with your two chords a good one to try would be say G to Em or something. Here is where a metronome will also help you very much. just go back and forth. then when you can do that well add another chord. repeat the same proceedure then add another chord. Do this as a practice routine everyday. And I bet you will be doing fine in less than a couple of weeks. Just remember it may take you a few days to get it down right, but once you do it all clicks, you get excited and will try for more. The chords you want to try and stay with at first are the real easy ones then go to harder 4 finger type chords. I always tell people to do a 3 to 2 finger at first cause it seems to help them catch on faster. say like G to Em Then maybe E to G. but the chords that i used when i was starting this was A, G, E, Em, Am, C, D, Asus, Dsus.

If you would like, I could maybe put you together something to use as part of your practice routine. Just let me know and i will throw one together for you.

Goodluck

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

OWA,

maybe this will help
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=561

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, it's find of hard to explain. It's not that I have trouble changing chords or getting the fingerings right. It's more of they catch me by surprise when I listen to myself. Like it's my right hand not the left that's the problem. Not sure if that helps. I'll post a recording later.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The only thing you can do is slow it down till it doesn't surprise you. Visualize when and what the chord changes are. Then once you get it down slowly ramp it up to the proper tempo. A metronome is the tool of choice for such an endeavor.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

maybe it's more of a rhythmn issue and not a chord changing issue. in that case a metronome is a good idea. boring but good.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

maybe it's more of a rhythmn issue and not a chord changing issue. in that case a metronome is a good idea. boring but good.

I think pearlthekat is probably right, what your most likely doing is speeding up when you change chords. Biker Jim said it's ok to play an open chord between changes. I'd go a step further and say you should make a deliberate effort to play a open strum between changes. Concentrate on your timing and relax. Do most of the concentrating on the relax part, loose = smooth. :wink:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote