Clear all

Chord Progression

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Slid
(@slid)
Topic starter  

Hello, Im fairly new to these forums and the guitar in general. I have been working on some chords to play while a friend is playing in Am penatonic scale (I think... 5th fret). Anyways Ive come up with 3 pretty nice sounding chords that go well but Im trying to find another I can throw in there but Im not having alot of luck finding something that sounds right and is easy to get into position with these chords. So Im seeing if someone might have some suggestions. Anyways here are the chords Im playing...

I believe I start with a Em7 (I dont know all the chords etc sorry) and my tabs suck haha

| | | | | |
------------------
| x x | | |
------------------
| | | | x |
------------------
| | | | | |

So I strum that one a couple times then move into this shape, think this is some kind of A

| | | | | |
------------------
| | x | x |
------------------
| | | | | |
------------------
| | | | | |

Then sometimes when Im playing the E, at about 1/2 the way into the E measure in I add my pinky down for this chord, which I have no idea what it is. I assume some variation of a E

| | | | | |
------------------
| x x | | |
------------------
| | | | x x
------------------
| | | | | |

So, anyways thats what Im playing around with, if someone has a suggestion of a chord that would sound good with these while a Am penatonic scale is being played also, would greatly appriaciate it! Thanks in advance.

(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

The A is A7.

The notes of the third chord is E B E G F G (Edit, that F should be a D and the next paragraph is basically invalid).

I think this would be Em Add2, what I can say is that if E is the root then B is the fifth and G is minor third and the F is that add2, the real music theory buffs may have to come in and set you straight on this, I had to work this out and I'm not really that good on chord construction stuff.

For future reference if you use the 'code' feature during posting it will use a font that works better for tabbing things out, and it'll probably be easier to use chord frames that show what fingers you use as people can possibly help you with suggestions there too.

As for chords that will go well with the ones you have, just about any D chord

xx0232 (D Major)
xx0212 (D7)
xx0231 (D Minor)
D Major as you showed it so you can relate to what I've shown with fingers

| | | | | |
-----------
| | | x | x
-----------
| | | | x |
-----------
| | | | | |

D major still but with fingers to use indicationed
| | | | | |
-----------
| | | 1 | 2
-----------
| | | | 3 |
-----------
| | | | | |

In case you are wondering why I picked the D, I chose that because if you are working with A as your roote, then E is the fifth and D is the fourth (look up chord progressions). However, I don't know if that will necessarily sound good while someone is playing an Am pentatonic scale, but I suspect it will, and if it don't you get your money back.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Good explanation from Maliciant. Just one point: The third chord (022033) is also Em7 (EBEGDG) - just a different 'voicing'.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I blame my mistake on late night posting, if I had actually written down the right notes would I have been correct about the Em add2 chord (if there was really a F instead of a D?), tryin to bone up on the stuff but it's hard to double check my answers.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I blame my mistake on late night posting, if I had actually written down the right notes would I have been correct about the Em add2 chord (if there was really a F instead of a D?), tryin to bone up on the stuff but it's hard to double check my answers.

Late night posting isn't usually a problem for me - It's early morning postings that are a danger. :lol:

Anyway - the note F would be a b2 above E - and the chord would most commonly be named Em add b9 if the root is E. (EGBF)
But it would be called G 13th if G is the root. (GBEF)

ReplyQuote
 Slid
(@slid)
Topic starter  

Perfect! Yes that sounds really neat, will have to see if it will work with friend in Am penatonic but they chord progression with those chords is the sound Im looking for. Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

When playing Em7, A7 and D it might sound better when your friend plays in B minor pentatonic, which is two steps higher up the fret. I'm not saying you cannot play Am pentatonic scales over those chords, but in particular the C# note in the A7 chord might clash with the C note in the Am pentatonic scale.

If you want to keep playing in Am pentatonic scale, I suggest you change your chords to Em7, Am and Dm.

Am is: x02210
Dm is: xx0231

Other chords that sound good over Am pentatonic are C, G and F.

C is: x32010
G is: 320003
F is: 133211 (a barre chord!)

These are all "save" chords, you basically can't go wrong with them when noodling around in Am pentatonic, but they might also become a little boring after a while, so please feel free to experiment and try different chords with different scales!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Your friend is playing these notes: A C D E G, basically a trimmed-down A-minor scale. This means that playing in Am would be a pretty safe bet. This gives the following chords: Am, Bm/5b, C, Dm, Em, F, G. The Bm/5b is kinda tricky as two of the notes involved aren't in the pentatonic scale but the rest is all nice and easy. If you play the Em chord before the Am you can make it major, either E or E7. Some basic four-chord progressions:

Am-C-G-E7
Am-Em-Dm-G
Am-Dm-C-E7
Am-G-E7-Am

Etc etc etc. :D

If you want you can do a bridge in C-major, same chords and same notes in the scale. Some progressions:

C-Am-F-G
C-Em-G-C
C-Dm-F-Am
C-F-Am-G

etc etc etc again. :D

Maybe tag a few words on it and you've got a song. Or if you're feeling fancy you can copy&paste them together for 8bar progressions:

Am-C-G-E7-C-Am-F-G
Am-Dm-C-E7-C-Dm-F-Am
Am-G-E7-Am-C-F-Am-G

etc etc etc as usual. :D

Now add a chorus in G-major (using these chords: Em, G, Am, Bm, C, D) and you're well on your way. Writing songs is way easier then it seems.

ReplyQuote