Clear all

chords and fret buzz

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@guitar_samurai)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So, I've been playing a couple days and I've noticed something, When I strum a chord, I tend to get a lot of fret buzz. I read somewhere that when you play a chord, your fingers should be as close to the fret nearest to the guitar's body as possible without actually being on top of the fret. Whenever I do this though, I get fret buzz, I can't get a clear sound. Thats when I actually do anything other than tuning because I've gotten so frustrated not being able to tell whether my guitar is actually tuned properly. So, my question is this, am I doing something wrong, or is what I read incorrect?

(@dommy09)
Trusted Member

Fret buzz can also come from not pressing down on the strings hard enough.

I hate to repeat this mantra all the time, but it all comes with practice! :twisted: :wink:

If i learn a new chord it takes me a little while to get the pressure i need to put on each finger sorted so the chord sounds nice.

HTH

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

many new players actually fret too close the the fret wire and push too hard. if you are behind the wire the string has a better chance of bending. planting the fingers firmly will keep the string steady as it vibrates (sounds).
I remember when I began I was hyper conscious of any noise. now I don't think about it. I still have a buzz no and then, but my finger strength is so much better that fretting is easy or second nature.
another thing is the fleshy parts of our fingers can brush against a string. that will make things sound off.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Try to determine the strength to be used by each finger independently. Go slowly and keep practicing.

My first week playing an electric was very funny. I did all kind of sounds, noises and buzzes. I thought I never could play without those noises and buzzes!

Currently I do the same sounds, noises and buzzes but I know I'll play without them! :lol:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Also check to make sure that your fingers are not touching another string.
Is it the string you're fretting that's buzzing or one of the other strings in the chord?
This was my problem with a Strat. The strings were too close together around the first few frets.
I bought a different guitar.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

All the above are good responses.
I would also consider that possibly your guitar needs serious adjustment. Like truss rod adjustment, saddle and nut adjustment. I would take the guitar to a guitar center and have a person look at it to make sure it is playable. Would be a shame to be frustrated thinking you are doing something wrong when it's the guitar that needs the adjustment.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Another suggestion would be to do some warm ups for your fretting hand and these will help out in other areas.

A simple exercise to get your fingers accustomed to "Fretting" and the strength required for each string at different places on the neck.

Start at the 7th fret on the 1st string. Place your index finger on the 7th fret.
Then "pick/pluck" the note. Listen for clarity. Then with the index still on the 7th fret, put your middle finger on the 8th fret and repeat. Then Ring finger on the 9th fret and repeat, then pinky on the 10th fret all while the other fingers are on the same string.

Do this over and over. Then move it to each string repeating the pattern.

The tab will look like this.

--7--8--9--10-------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|
--------------7--8--9--10-|--------------------------|--------------------------|
--------------------------|--7--8--9--10-------------|--------------------------|
--------------------------|--------------7--8--9--10-|--------------------------|
--------------------------|--------------------------|--7--8--9--10-------------|
--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------7--8--9--10-|

You can start anywhere on the neck, however starting at the first fret the spaces between frets are larger and you'll really stretch your fingers out. So pick a spot then work your way up towards the first fret once you get comfortable.

Take your time and make sure you make every note ring clearly. This isn't about speed its about accuracy.

Then once your fingers are "warmed up". Make a chord. Say the "D" chord.

------3---------|
------2---------|
------3---------|
------0---------|
----------------|
----------------|

Pluck one string at a time. Making sure each note rings clearly. Once you do, strum the chord.

RINSE and REPEAT a few hundred times for each chord. :)

As the Mantra Goes.... Practice Practice and More Practice. :)

Keep at it.......you'll get it.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

All the above are good responses.I would also consider that possibly your guitar needs serious adjustment. Like truss rod adjustment, saddle and nut adjustment. .

Along with this, how long has it been since you put on new strings?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_samurai)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The guitar is borrowed from a friend of mine. Another friend was using it before me, and he put new strings on it about a month ago.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I used to have this little problem of lots of string buzz(long time ago). It was from simply playing too hard or digging to deep into the strings with your pick.

ReplyQuote