Notifications
Clear all

Chromatic tuner

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@g-man)
Topic starter  

I love this forum, lots of great info; I just wish it had search capabilities. I'm fairly new at this guitar thing, or should I say “recently new” at playing guitar. I played a bit in high school but put it down afterwards when I joined the Army. Never did pick up one afterwards until recently when I bought an Ovation acoustic electric guitar. I always wanted one of those but could not afford one 20 years ago. So anyways, I also bought a chromatic tuner which is a nifty device that wasn't available 20 years ago, to help me with the dreaded task of tuning the dang thing. I love it but I do have a question about using it that I haven't been able to find the answer for anywhere. The device has a calibration function (410--480 Hz) that supports a wide range of standard pitches. You can press the pitch button on the thing and the pitch changes in 1 Hz increments. My question is what is the standard range for a guitar? Is it 440 Hz? I've experimented with changing the pitch from 410 to 480 and there is a noticeable difference when I tune my guitar.

Help!

G-man

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, 440 is the standard pitch.

There is a long story about how 440 Hz came to be recognized as the standard pitch for A. But I will let someone more familiar with this come on and explain.

But use 440 :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@g-man)
Topic starter  

Thank you Wes!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

We recently discussed that here is the link https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13689

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote