Notifications
Clear all

Complete beginner needs help

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@marknanna)
Topic starter  

Hi there, i decided to try playing my husbands guitar, which i might add, he never picks up. I can tune the guitar, but after a few minutes playing i need to retune it. It was bought brand new a couple of year ago and has hardly been played so i can't see it being the guitar. Is there something else i need to adjust to keep it going out of tune? Or could it be because they are new strings? Any ideas? Sorry to appear dumb, but i'm complete novice!! :? Many thanks

(@1st_act)
Estimable Member

Hey,

It definately might be because of new strings. If that's it, once the strings get "snugged up" around the tuning posts, the guitar should stay in tune just fine..

Otherwise, maybe check to see if the posts or tuning knobs are loose.

Hope you get it worked out quickly.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

If they are new strings, they'll need re-tuning often until they're settled down.

However if they've already been broken in, then there may be some more complicated reasons as to why this is happening.

Tough it out for a little bit more and see if they stay in tune. If they're still not there after say an hour of playing, then it's probably the way the guitar is set up.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Exactly - new strings need to be stretched out. Old strings might just be too old.

It could also be the guitar. If your husband bought an inexpensive guitar to learn on and never did anythign with it, the guitar may need to be properly "set up" by a professional. There are a number of reasons that a guitar would not stay in tune, usually the nut is the culprit.

As mentioned, try some new strings and play it for a week or so. If the tuning issue doesn't go away you should get it reviewed by a luthier or guitar tech.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Does this guitar by chance have a whammy bar? Are you using a tuner?

ReplyQuote