Clear all

Complete Beginner.

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@coolconfusion)
Topic starter  

Hi!

I'm 14 and have never picked up a guitar in my life. But just recently, I've decided to start playing.
I really need your help with a few things. I've scoured every music website I can find and haven't got good answers for any of em, so I was hoping real people could help me out. My questions are:
1. Acoustic or Electric?
You see, this is a kinda common question, but it's one I've had alot of problems with. I'm really concerned about price, so originally I thought that acoustic was the way to go. But then I remembered something:
I do not like the sound of an acoustic guitar! :x
See, I listen to late 70s Punk (Clash, Pistols, Ramones, Jam). They don't use acoutic in Punk. :wink:
Anyway, I could bear playing it, but I don't think that it would do much for me.
2. Value
Alright, here's the deal: I'm buying this guitar. I think I'll only have around $120-or-so to get what I need (guitar, amp, cord) to start playing. So I am really concerned about quality, because I don't want a piece of crap that'll break in a week. Plus, what if I don't like it? Guitars are big investments. This is making me think that maybe I should get a used guitar. is this a good idea?
3. Playability (Is that a word?)
Ok, here's my next point: I need something *relatively* easy to play. As I said, I never played a guitar before! Ever! :oops:
I don't know anything about what are good brands besides maybe Gibson and um... um..... :oops:
4.What I'm currently looking at
I go to a little music store in Melrose, MA. There, they had a used Baja guitar for $59. This jumped out at me, and I just want to know if the guitar is any good. I don't want to buy a piece of crap! Do you guys (and girls) have any other good guitars?
5. Reccomendations
What do you reccommend for a beginner? What kind of guitar? Amp? Effect?
Thanks for putting up with me!
CoolConfusion

(@cd-60-blk)
Eminent Member

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-SE-Special-Strat-with-Squier-SP-10-Amp-Value-Pack-104486238-i1177837.gc I'm just a beginner too, so I won't even begin to recommend what's better or best. I guess it's all really a matter of opinion and the luck of the draw of the one you happen to pick up. The link is just an example of one of the value starter packs available, I'm starting with an acoustic but for the price I'm thinking it would be cool to own this too! :D

Where do you get your energies? Well its a vicious circle thing, If I hadn't ever played an instrument then I wouldn't ever need to play one. But now that I've been playing, I need to play. - Eric Clapton 1967 RollingStone interview

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

1. Acoustic or Electric?
You see, this is a kinda common question, but it's one I've had alot of problems with. I'm really concerned about price, so originally I thought that acoustic was the way to go. But then I remembered something:
See, I listen to late 70s Punk (Clash, Pistols, Ramones, Jam). They don't use acoutic in Punk. :wink:
Anyway, I could bear playing it, but I don't think that it would do much for me.
Well you answered your own question there. You listen to 70 punk and don't like acoustic. So.... :D
2. Value
Alright, here's the deal: I'm buying this guitar. I think I'll only have around $120-or-so to get what I need (guitar, amp, cord) to start playing. So I am really concerned about quality, because I don't want a piece of crap that'll break in a week. Plus, what if I don't like it? Guitars are big investments. This is making me think that maybe I should get a used guitar. is this a good idea?

Good thinking. Do your research before making any purchase. Go you local shop and try out each any every guitar that you like, even if you can't afford it, so you can get a feel for what you want to be playing. Used isn't bad either. You might come across that jem of a guitar that fits you well.
Ok, here's my next point: I need something *relatively* easy to play. As I said, I never played a guitar before! Ever! :oops:
I don't know anything about what are good brands besides maybe Gibson and um... um..... :oops:

Same as above with what I told you. Don't worry about the brand's name. Epiphone guitars are quite good. The less expensive Gibson brand. You'll find what you like while trying them out.
I go to a little music store in Melrose, MA. There, they had a used Baja guitar for $59. This jumped out at me, and I just want to know if the guitar is any good. I don't want to buy a piece of crap! Do you guys (and girls) have any other good guitars?

Don't know about Baja guitars, but if you like'em try one out for yourself. Personally one of my favoite beginner guitars comes from Ibanez. A bit over your budget, but worth checking out.
5. Reccomendations
Thanks for putting up with me!
CoolConfusion

Ibanez, Epiphone, and Squire come to mind. Most are a bit over budget, but hey with Christmas coming your store may have some great deals, or you could come across a great used guitar like I said. With amps you'll have to try each one out thats in your budget range, also might find a good guitar/amp package deal to. One that does come to mind are the Roland Cube amps. They come with effects. For the most part effects are going to be up to you. It'll be you discovering what you like to play in the long run. Enjoy the experience while searching for your first guitar.

Good luck! :D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

:
1. Acoustic or Electric?

I listen to late 70s Punk (Clash, Pistols, Ramones, Jam). They don't use acoutic in Punk. :wink:

Electric is fine

2. Value

Your local shop should be able to put a starter pack together for you at reasonable cost

Yep, it's a word. The shop will let you try out a guitar before you buy it, but if in doubt then take a guitar playing friend with you for a second opinion

No idea about that brand, but ask the shop about a starter pack and see what they come up with
5. Reccomendations

You're unlikely to get effects included in your budget. I'd check out E-bay, to be honest, and get a second-user multi-FX box (Zoom make very good multui-FX - I have a bunch) at relatively low cost.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Don't worry about effects at this point... you have to learn to play first and the less toys/distractions the better. Also, your budget doesn't allow for it.

With your budget, your best bet is used.

You need to bring a friend or someone that plays that can help look at the guitar - Someone that plays and knows guitars will tell you if it is a good guitar... only you will know if you like the feel of it (and look of it). If you don't *like* it, you won't play it.

Wait for a good guitar... don't just get the first one that fits your price range.

Check out Craigslist or Kijiji in your area for good deals.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@coolconfusion)
Topic starter  

Thanks for your help everybody.
It's nice to hear from some real people.
I think I will buy used.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When they say "Try it out" and you are thinking "I cant, I cant play yet" all they mean is just go hold it, pick at it.. see how the weight and size feels to you. I know you didnt say it.. but I thought it. :shock:

Used is a great way to go. Many, MANY people pick up guitar and decide that they dont want to put the hard work into it to learn so there is alot of really good equipment out there for sale that probably hasnt been used, PLUS all the people that did stick with it that sold their old stuff to get something nicer.

I agree with others.. dont buy FXs, but cmon everyone wants FXs so when you can afford it I would get a decent multi effects like Alan suggested. That will give you an idea of what a great deal of different items will do at a reasonable price.. and its fun.

Good luck

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Very exciting the thought of just starting out. Some people .. many people say you need to start on acoustic. IMO that is crap. I started with electric and play 99.9% electric guitar. If you play with what you love the sound of you will play. Have fun and if you need help, well you found the place to get it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Hi!

I'm 14 and have never picked up a guitar in my life. But just recently, I've decided to start playing.
I really need your help with a few things. I've scoured every music website I can find and haven't got good answers for any of em, so I was hoping real people could help me out. My questions are:
1. Acoustic or Electric?

There are three basic schools of thought:
1. Get an acoustic because it is the most versatile and because it is harder. The higher string tension serves like working out with weights but you play the game without extra weight on.
2. Start with nylon because it is easier on your fingertips and the added space on the fret hand makes it easier to finger properly.
3. Get the guitar most suited for what sound you want to make because the sound you hear will be the ultimate motivating factor on whether you keep trying or give up.

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-SE-Special-Strat-with-Squier-SP-10-Amp-Value-Pack-104486238-i1177837.gc I'm just a beginner too, so I won't even begin to recommend what's better or best. I guess it's all really a matter of opinion and the luck of the draw of the one you happen to pick up. The link is just an example of one of the value starter packs available, I'm starting with an acoustic but for the price I'm thinking it would be cool to own this too! :D
OMG! I don't know what the price on that link was back when posted, but it is $199 today on Cyber Monday.

I think my wife may have bought me an electric guitar. I don't know, but I've wanted an electric for quite some time. Problem is, she would have bought the Target special, Fender Starcaster for.... $199. Money has been very tight, thus no guitar for me forever, but with the recent addition of a 2nd income, bills are getting paid off, Christmas is very nice this year, as is the first family vacation ever coming up in the summer to Disney.

As I said, I think she may have gotten me a guitar, the $199 junk at Target. What would you do? We are pretty open on what we get each other. She already knows everything I got her and she's already told me most of what she got me. She always sneaks in something "special" for me though that she doesn't tell me.

I think I would much rather have a Squier than the Target Fender special and it would be much beneficial for her to return it and grab up the Squier.

Note, I've already done this with 2 of her gifts as well, finding something better for the same or cheaper so they were returned and swapped.

EDIT: Ah ha! I failed to see it wasn't what I thought it was. It is a "Special SE" and I thought it was the Squier Affinity. Squier is the amp, not the guitar. Now at looking at the reviews, it doesn't seem to be much different than the one at Target....

ReplyQuote