Notifications
Clear all

Curious about my progression.

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@perdidopitbull)
Topic starter  

I have been playing for about a month and I can progress between the A,Am,B,Bm,C,D,Dm,D7,e,Em,e7,F,andG chords. I only understand the notes of each chord (music theory still overwelms me :D ) and have a few 4/4 strumming patterns down. Anyways am I way behind or right on track with my learning?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

If you can play those chords cleanly and change between them reasonably fluently then you're doing very well for one month's playing.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

It took me way longer than a month to get that many chords down, especially tough for me was the F and the B. I'd say you're doing very well.

ReplyQuote
(@perdidopitbull)
Topic starter  

Any advice on which direction I should work towards now?

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Firstly, welcome to GN! Now, on to your post...
Anyways am I way behind or right on track with my learning?

Ah, the classic question of the beginner; there is NO answer to this. It is purely up to you; what are you aiming to get out of learning the guitar? Do have set goals for yourself? How quickly do you want to progress?

Everyone is different; it takes some people months, even years to be able to play the chords you have listed.

As such, if you can play all of those chords after one month (particularly the barre chords), I'd be tempted to say that, although you can *play* the chords, can you progress smoothly between them to play songs? Can you form the chords quick enough to not miss a beat? Can you keep time while changing chords?

Bear in mind that the learning of chords and strumming patterns is only the very beginning; now that you have the basic skills, you can truely begin to learn to play.

I would suggest looking at;

Chord formation (the speed and changing between one chord to the next)
Chord progressions (what sounds good in what order)
Techniques such as hammer-ons and pull-offs
Strum patterns / techniques
Songs - start putting your new skills to use (songs are some of the best practice as well, as you know what it should sound like so it's easier to pick up on mistakes)

Particularly pay attention to the chord formations at the moment; I remember back when I started, I thought it was great that I could play the E - A - D progression, but when I tried to play E - D - A I found I couldn't, as I had not yet learnt how to form the chords *from anywhere on the fretboard*, only in the order I had practiced. (hope that makes sense)

Hope that is all of some use.

Basically just go at your own pace, and don't try to compare your progess to anyone else; everyone is very different when it comes to learning new skills such as this.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I'd say you are doing really well.
compared to me you are ahead.
I only became aware of theory about 120 months after I began playing.

don't compare yourself though. why?
there are no trophies in this sport.
it is about you and your guitar and what you hear in your head.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

While there is basic stuff that every guitar player should know such as those open chords, a few scales, etc. The bulk of what you should and probably would like to know should come from what you like to play.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, PP.

As for your progress I'd say you're doing pretty good. Don't beat yourself up about your progress though. It takes time to learn the guitar and everybody learns at different speeds. Just enjoy the learning process and the ability to make music. There are no set goals or milestones. Some techniques fall into place straight away, others can take months. The key is to not get frustrated (easier said than done at times) and keep practicing.

Just make sure that you are learning stuff correctly now as it will be a nightmare trying to break any bad habits you pick up now in the future. Think quality not quantity.

Enjoy your music and we look forward to monitoring your progress on these forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

don't compare yourself though. why?
there are no trophies in this sport.
it is about you and your guitar and what you hear in your head.

+1 to that, Dogbite. Well said!! :D

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote