Clear all

D/C

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Im having difficulty trying to add the C note with my pinky to a D chord to give me a D/C. Its causing me muting issues with the open D string and also the high E. Should I try an alternative fingering or is it best to stick with it?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I do not know the song you are playing, but usually when you see a D/C chord, the high E string is not played. Pick up your middle finger that is playing the F# note on the 1st string and use it to play the C note on the A string. Also, let the finger slightly drap over the D string muting it. Think about it, why do you need the D note? You are playing a C as the bass note. :D

Let your ring finger mute the high E string as well.

This is a very common chording for this chord. There are times when the high E string is played in this chord, but pretty rare.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It depends on how you're playing the D chord - if you're playing it with your first finger on the G string, 2nd fret, your second finger on the top E string at the 2nd fret, and your ring finger on the Bstring, 3rd fret, then try playing itwith a mini-barre across the G B and E strings at the 2nd fret, and your middle finger on the B string, 3rd fret. This makes it much easier to bring your pinky over for the C note on the A string.

Alternatively, if you've got large hands, you could try bringing your thumb over....one of the songs on my regular must-play list is the Beatle's "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" which has a bass run from D to C to B whilst playing a D chord. I DO have large hands, and I've found the thumb-over the best way for me.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wes

Im working on the intro riff for "handle me with care" and since your post I've gone back to the tab (in an english guitar magazine) and realised I shouldnt be trying to hold a D/C :oops: but first a D5 and then a D5/C. So no need for a F# on the high E.

Vic

Id love to play "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away". I had a go at it a few months back and it was above my ability but I will go back to it in the future.
I can play thumb over for say a D/F# but havent got the stretch yet for notes on the A string I'll just have to keep trying.

Thanks for the input.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote