8 Users
0 Likes
(@algebun)
Topic starter  

E A D G B E
- x x x x x fifth fret
- - - - - -
- - x x x -

Forgive the poor drawing. This looks to me like I need to do 2 barres. Using the index finger to barre the fifth fret (ADGBE) and using the ring finger to barre the seventh fret (DGB). My barring stinks to begin with but I don't see how your ring finger can barre the DGB but not touch the E. Your finger doesn't really bend that way? Am I missing something?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Truth be told, most of us just avoid strumming the first string (the high e string).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Or you could use the 1st finger to barre and then use all the other fingers instead of barring, but yeah u can bar and do what Musenfreud says :D.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Barre the 5th fret with your first finger, and play an A chord with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Barre the 5th fret with your first finger, and play an A chord with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

A :-)

If this is difficult for you I would suggest practicing your open chords using only fingers 2, 3 and 4.

My instructor called them "OK" chords. When you make the "OK" symbol with your hand the 2, 3 and 4th fingers stand up. Practicing open chords this way prepares you for movable barre chords. I know it made them much easier for me. Especially the "A" shape.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Watching videos, I've always seen folks barre with the first, then just barre with the ring finger. When pushing down with the ring, the finger bends backwards a bit at the knuckle joints in an arch and it looks like it doesn't hit the high e. I'm not real good with barre chords, but I tried it and it worked out pretty well for me and my extreme high action, thick stringed, cheapo POS acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, that's the way it's done - I called it a "hinged" barre chord (swing your third finger back at the knuckle). In the beginning it can be tough to clear the high E string, but you'll get it in time; almost everyone can develop the flexibility to do it.

For those who can't - one of my students had a past finger injury that prevents him from even clearing the high E - just use a different fingering. Instead of playing x5777x, 10x777x gives you the exact same pitches. Use a first finger barre at the 7th fret, and your little finger frets D on the 6th string (and dampens the 5th string)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When I first started playing those A-shaped barres, I used the index to barre at the 5th fret and the ring to barre at the 7th fret. I didn't bother too much with the top E string - I'd try not to hit it, and in time I actually learned first to mute it then later, as my fingers got more used to guitar, to barre the D G and B strings with my ring finger and clear the top E string.

I've also found this shape very handy for playing sus4ths...move the ring finger across so it barres the A D and G strings.

557775 - D
577755 - Asus4.

Believe me, that shape'll come in very handy if you ever want to learn any of the songs on the "Tommy" album by the Who... I've tried about 4 songs so far and every one of them's got a Bsus4 chord played at the 7th fret!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote