Clear all

Determining beats per minute

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a metronome; I've hardly ever used it. How do you determine the bpm of a song? A good guess? I may be answering my own question here, but sometimes I will foot tap to get into the rhythm, or once I'm into it to keep it. But I never did anything about figuring out the beats per minute of the particular song. I find myself wanting to go too fast, and then of course I screw up. I understand that's pretty common for newbies. I can start out deliberately slowly, but before I know it, I've rushed it. Maybe I shouldn't worry about the actual song's bpm (though i'm working on songs that are not way fast), and just set the metronome to something I can comfortably use?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

My metronome has a 'tap' button. I just press it following the rhythm and it gives me an approximation. You can also adjust the bpm in the metronome until the tick coincides with the rhythm.

If I can not follow the song, I reduce the bpm with software and I speed it up when I'm able to play at that bpm. You should play as fast as possible without to make errors (you'd be practicing errors!).

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

This might be something to try.

http://beats-per-minute.qarchive.org/

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You can also adjust the bpm in the metronome until the tick coincides with the rhythm.

I should have known it was that simple. I guess some of us look for the difficulty in things.
You should play as fast as possible without to make errors (you'd be practicing errors!).

Yeah, my point. I think I'm ingraining mistakes by rushing the song(s).

Thanks, as always. :)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This might be something to try.

http://beats-per-minute.qarchive.org/

I just downloaded it and ran it against some non-iTunes files, and it worked fine. But it won't detect iTunes. iTunes is impossible to do anything with except through iTunes.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You should play as fast as possible without to make errors (you'd be practicing errors!).

Yeah, my point. I think I'm ingraining mistakes by rushing the song(s).

Thanks, as always. :)
You're welcome, Sir!

The idea is start slowly and to increase progressively the beats per minute. When you practice scales or arpeggios, do the same thing: play where you are comfortable and increase some beats per minute every week, you will play much faster and without mistakes in a a couple of months!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You guys just know everything and how to do it right! Now, y'all don't pick winning lotter numbers do you!? rofl :lol: I can't think of anything better than everyone here being transported to a conference center to play, teach and learn. OK, I'm a little hyper this morning (strong Spanish coffee).

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

uh ... I assumed the link would point to a manual method, but instead it's an application? okay, but if one has no handy laptop, or the tune is AAC encoded (e.g. iTunes). then what? how about tapping your foot to the tune and counting the number of taps in 30 seconds and multiplying by 2? all you will need a clock/watch with seconds indicator and a rudimentary sense of rhythm. hmmmm, learning this skill might even be applicable to performing music.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi minotaur

it is quite simple. Let's suppose that you want to determine how many bpm is i.e Stand by me (a classic 4/4 song). You just have to listen to the song and determine i.e. how many seconds it needs to play a certain bit of the song. If by example it needs 60 seconds to play the first 32 measures of the song you can do the following math:

32 measures per 4 beats a mesure = 128 beats per minute

otherwise you could try with a trial and error process

as a rough guide:

slow ballads are around 70-75 bpm (think about Knocking on heave's door)
songs like heard it through the grapevine or I'm eighteen is 100 bpm
medium tempos are around 120-130 (a lot of Creedence and rolling stones, rock songs like Rock you like an hurricane, Cherockee, a lot of Bon Jovi and Brian adams)
quite fast songs are around 160 (Iron Maiden's The trooper or Run to the hills, Chuck berry fast rock, ramones)
speed songs are 200 or over (some Motorhead tunes and thrash/speed metal)

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

as a rough guide:

slow ballads are around 70-75 bpm (think about Knocking on heave's door)
songs like heard it through the grapevine or I'm eighteen is 100 bpm
medium tempos are around 120-130 (a lot of Creedence and rolling stones, rock songs like Rock you like an hurricane, Cherockee, a lot of Bon Jovi and Brian adams)
quite fast songs are around 160 (Iron Maiden's The trooper or Run to the hills, Chuck berry fast rock, ramones)
speed songs are 200 or over (some Motorhead tunes and thrash/speed metal)

Matteo

Ah cool! Thanks Matteo. Most of the songs I like and will probably play are in the 70-80; 100; 120-130 bpm range. Handy little guide.

ReplyQuote