Clear all

Devising strumming patterns

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

In my last lesson, we worked on (attempting!) to breakdown a song into strumming patterns.

We listened to the song, looking at one of the books which have the lyrics with the chords above it.

I struggled with this, and have been attempting to listen to a song and break down what the strumming pattern is before my lesson tomorrow, does anyone have any hints?

I have tried slowing the piece down when I listen to it, and focusing on the drum beats to get the rhythm but still can't quite seem to work out what are up and down strokes.

Thanks

Apache

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Strumming patterns are usually short (2 measures is typical), and there aren't many of them in a song.

I have students listen to a short segment of the song they're working on several times, and then TAP the rhythm on their guitar top. After they've tapped it several times, I have them write it out.

Once it's written, we can analyze it - what is the division? (the division is where you'll alternate strokes - it could be eighth notes for a slower rhythm, or sixteenth notes for a faster one). Twice the division will be the strumming unit - where your downstrokes go.

We'll mark the strum directions over their transcription of the rhythm, and then play through it.

Some rhythms may take a little tweaking, as a few artists may put strokes in odd places for effect, like doubling up an upstroke. But most are pretty straightforward. So that's usually the whole process:

LISTEN - imitate - write it out - analyze - practice

Hope that helps.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote