Clear all

difference between classical and acoustic

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is there a difference between classical guitar and just plain, run-of-the-mill acoustic guitar? If so, what is it?

I was thinking that for my next guitar I'd get some type of acoustic, and it might be fun to get a classical. Is this a bad idea? Is classical harder to play than acoustic?

What makes a classical guitar classical?

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I believe classical often has a wider neck and wider fret spacing, along with nylon strings. They are really fun to play!

Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There are some other differences too... classical guitars are much lighter, with thinner woods and less bracing. The neck joins the body at the 12th fret - some acoustics join at 12, but most are at 14 or 15. Classical fingerboards are flat; some acoustics have a bit of curve to them.

Classical guitars are designed to be played with the fingers, instead of a pick. When you alternate pick, you've just got two motions to worry about... with classical, you can play strokes with consecutive fingers, but you've got a lot of possible pairs (I-M, M-I, M-A, A-M, etc) depending on what string your notes are on. It takes a little longer to develop this right hand finger independence.

Playing position is a bit different, too... classical guitar is played with the neck held higher than a steel string. The classical position is to cross the legs, and rest the guitar on the higher leg, but a lot of players will use a footstool instead - your leg goes to sleep after an hour or two in the classical position :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote