Notifications
Clear all

Direction towards SS and Tube amps

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@themajesticfreak)
Topic starter  

I currently own a Fender Mustang 3 V1 with an ESP LTD EC-1000 w/EMG 81/60 active pups. The style of music I want to play is metal, but obviously Fender isn't the greatest with distortion as it's more for cleans. I bought it in store because none of the brands like Peavey, ENGL, Mesa Boogie, etc. were available in Hawaii in store and I felt it had a chance of giving me a decent crunch, but playing with the settings and downloading the presets using the FUSE software have been futile. I've been playing for over 6 months but I'm already wanting to upgrade to a hybrid amp i.e. Peavey Vypyr T60 to get the best of worlds instead. I do know that SS is more rugged and reliable, but I can tell the difference in sound between an SS and tube and I prefer tube even though it's more costly. Another thing is when I practice I'm not thrilled to play certain parts of metal songs because I already know that the amp won't give me that desired crunch. I still practice, but it's kinda boring not getting that heavy chug after attacking the string if you know what I mean. Also if I upgrade it has to be suitable for bedroom volumes, but with a decent headroom if I wanted to jam with friends or gig in the future.

Am I rushing the process of getting a new amp this early in the game to fit my needs whether it's tube or SS or should I stick it out with the Fender? I'd rather put money into an amp that I will grow to love that can do what I want than play with an amp that doesn't achieve the sound I want.

Also is it bad for a beginner to go straight tube rather than start with SS or even a hybrid amp? I understand SS gives the player versatility and options compared to a tube being more of a one trick pony. I was hoping to hear pros/cons, tips/suggestions on this topic to help me decide where to put my money at.

Thanks!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

tube and solid state are too different beasts. each has their own character. I am a tube amp guy. I love the warmth and tone breakup from an overdriven tube amp.
I wanted crunch without turning my amp over 7; the neighbors would complain when I wanted to peel paint off houses...I play at reasonable volumes and have crunch or warm overdrive by using a stomp box.
there is a vast array of pedals that are specifically designed form anything you want.
metal pedals, blues pedals, OD pedals. the list is now endless. try a few out before you decide on a new amp.
Mustangs are not necessarily shred guitars, but with the proper pedal you could do fine.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote