Skip to content
Do all $185.acousti...

Notifications
Clear all

Do all $185.acoustic guitars buzz while strumming?

36 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's a website that will tell you all about frets. It's good reading. You'll have to go about 4 pages before they tell about leveling frets.

Refretting

Don't worry. If this is indeed the best repair shop in your town with a good reputation, your frets will be better than new. They will only take off the very minimum of material to make all the frets even height. They have special tools to round them off. Then they will fine polish them. If it is a good shop they will come out beautiful. And for only $50. That's a good deal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Art & Lutherie is going to have a little talk with Bob's store.

I still haven't gotten my guitar back from the shop (they said it would take at least a week.) Have you all found that having a competent repair shop do a setup is worth the money?

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I got my guitar back today. It plays like it is supposed to. And I'm quite happy with it. The repair shop decided not to raise the saddle since I am a beginner and they didn't want to make the string action to high for me. I was also told that it appeared no attempt had been made at the factory to level the frets.

My next question is: I do think the guitar has been totally fixed, however the guitar will still buzz slightly every once in a while. I think the biggest problem now is my inexperience. Once I get good, if it still buzzes every once in a while will I want to have the saddle slightly raised, like was originally planned? When it buzzes now it about 1/10th as loud as it was before the repairs. And it only buzzes when Im trying to play fairly loud and fast.

Also when using a pick to strum the strings from top to bottom is there any way to strum them fast without strumming them hard? I really can't think of a way because in order to strum fast I have to move my pick hand fast, and a fast moving hand has more energy than a slow moving hand and so the strings get hit harder.

Overall, the repairs were well worth the money.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

lighter guage picks bend more so they don't hit the strings as hard. Good to hear it plays nice now.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Its been my experiance that lighter gauge strings also tend to buzz more. But i think its a just a technique and strength thing that will clear up over time.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Update: The Low E and The A string will still buzz lightly when strummed while fingered on the 5th posistion. Will adding more relief to the neck fix this? It has very little in it right now, I haven't adjusted it since the repair shop did. It is a very slight buzz. Should I raise the saddle? The repair shop didn't raise it like they were originally going to because they wanted it to be easy for me to play. Is it now time to raise it? Now that Im starting to get better? Everything on it right now is adjusted to make it easy to play, but those strings buzz on that one posistion.

Is there anyway for me to raise the saddle myself?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3