Clear all

Double Stops!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys, i am trying to use double stops in my lead playing.
But I see myself just using the notes that are physically next to each other on the fretboard (for example F and A# in G minor pentatonic scale). Obviously this gets repetitive very quickly.

How I do figure out which two notes in a scale ( mainly major, penta/blues ) will sound good when played together.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

The most simple answer is to use notes that are included in the chords that you play a solo sequence over.
If you play a Gm pent. scale starting att 3: rd fret , take the G, C and D ( in a 3chord blues) Barre chords (major, minor, seventh etc ) at 3rd and 5th fret and check what notes are included.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@kristofer-dahl)
Eminent Member

Besides the info already given - here is a video lickI have done with a major third double stop which might help you. :)

--Kris

Check out my daily guitar solo video lessons!! :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As for which notes to play, it's all about harmony. You typically want to use consonant intervals made up of notes that are part of the harmony. Let's take the following progression: C-Am-F-G. We can start by playing the C and G notes over the first chord, then move to C and A for the second and third chord and end with B and G.

Now if you play the C and G over both C-major and A-minor you'll find that the second measure becomes a tad fuller, the G will turn the Am into an Am7. So we could change it to:

C - B G (Cmaj7 [x 3 2 0 0 x])
Am - C G (Am7 [x 0 2 0 1 x])
F - C G (Fadd9 [x 0 3 0 1 x])
G - B G (G [x 5 5 4 3 x])

This way you'll be adding some interesting notes to the basic progression without distracting too much. Note how you only play two different intervals yet each measure will sound much different due to the harmonic context over which you're playing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

3rds 4ths ... 6ths on non-adjacent strings. more 2nds in the blues. dave matthews uses 5ths on a song or 2. at a very simple level, if a chord will work, two notes of that chord will work there as will. just examining those will take up some time and effort.

ReplyQuote